sausage making 2018

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Ethan Soland

Original poster
Feb 5, 2018
Fergus Falls, MN
This past weekend we decided to make our venison sausage. Quite the process, but well worth the effort. We started by butchering 3 pigs on Saturday. After processing all the meat, vacuum packing it, and freezing it, we were left with 75 pounds of pork fat and trimmings to use for our sausage the following day. 6 pork bellies are dry rubbed ready for smoking next weekend too....gotta love bacon!

We had approximately 200 pounds of venison and made the following

50 pounds of smoked regular country style ring sausage
50 pounds of smoked (pepper, onion, garlic)ring sausage
50 pounds of summer sausage- 2 different varieties
3 varieties of smoked brats (regular, wildrice/cheddar, jalapeno/pepperjack)- 25#
3 varieties of fresh brats - (regular, wildrice/cheddar, jalapeno/pepperjack)- 25#
25# of fresh patty sausage
40 # of venison hotdogs

Everything turned out pretty darn good...quite happy with the process. Thanks for the help on all the questions last week. This is a great forum with very helpful people.
IMG_1672.JPG IMG_1680.JPG IMG_1679.JPG IMG_1684.JPG IMG_1686.JPG IMG_1685.JPG IMG_1675.JPG

Attachments

• IMG_1681.JPG
    IMG_1681.JPG
    135.8 KB · Views: 79
Wow! Well done. When you make sausage you make a lot of sausage. How big is your smoker and what do you think the max poundage it can do is?

I think we've had around 220 pounds in there a couple different times. It's an old commercial smoker purchased from a butcher shop that shut down. We really like it! We did all of this in three different batches smoked in two different days

That is a lot of work!
Brings back memories...at my grandparents' place the family butchered 1 pig every year and it was an all day process.

Nice job! Enjoy!

Very impressive. The hogs wild or domestic (did you raise them). Neighbors used to butcher domestic hogs on Thanksgiving weekend as part of their family get together. Our family hunted ALOT. We always swapped them deer meat for sausage, hams, bacon. Was a good deal for both families.

.....he picks up his jaw from the floor and re-attaches it to his skull.....

That sir is one impressive amount of sausage. You goin' into the business soon?

haha...I don't think so... way too much work :)
I will say it's quite rewarding when it's all finished. My dad is teaching me the ropes on the smoker and he deserves much of the credit.

ES, Those are some pictures of sausage heaven right there ! Nice job on an incredible amount of goodies ! like

Couple days late on seeing this post and everything great that can be said has already been said.
So WOW what a great job and wheres mine I'll send address for UPS. Awesome job

Warren

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky