1. Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.

sausage making 2018

Discussion in 'Sausage' started by Ethan Soland, Feb 13, 2018.

1. This past weekend we decided to make our venison sausage. Quite the process, but well worth the effort. We started by butchering 3 pigs on Saturday. After processing all the meat, vacuum packing it, and freezing it, we were left with 75 pounds of pork fat and trimmings to use for our sausage the following day. 6 pork bellies are dry rubbed ready for smoking next weekend too....gotta love bacon!

We had approximately 200 pounds of venison and made the following

50 pounds of smoked regular country style ring sausage
    50 pounds of smoked (pepper, onion, garlic)ring sausage
    50 pounds of summer sausage- 2 different varieties
    3 varieties of smoked brats (regular, wildrice/cheddar, jalapeno/pepperjack)- 25#
    3 varieties of fresh brats - (regular, wildrice/cheddar, jalapeno/pepperjack)- 25#
    25# of fresh patty sausage
    40 # of venison hotdogs

Everything turned out pretty darn good...quite happy with the process. Thanks for the help on all the questions last week. This is a great forum with very helpful people.
    IMG_1672.JPG IMG_1680.JPG IMG_1679.JPG IMG_1684.JPG IMG_1686.JPG IMG_1685.JPG IMG_1675.JPG

Attached Files:

crazymoon, marvinonme, tallbm and 5 others like this.
  2. oddegan

oddegan Smoking Fanatic

Wow! Well done. When you make sausage you make a lot of sausage. How big is your smoker and what do you think the max poundage it can do is?

3. I think we've had around 220 pounds in there a couple different times. It's an old commercial smoker purchased from a butcher shop that shut down. We really like it! We did all of this in three different batches smoked in two different days

4. oddegan

oddegan Smoking Fanatic

That's awesome. That should keep the family in sausage for a little while.

5. link

link Smoking Fanatic SMF Premier Member

I want to comment but have no words. Damn! That is a lot of sausage. Awesome job.
    Link

6. my kid goes to school in Whap, when should I send him over to pick up my samples?

7. Phil Chart

Phil Chart Meat Mopper SMF Premier Member

Wow you guys were busy. Awesome job. Very impressive

8. come by and try anytime. I'm always looking for some constructive criticism !
    it's amazing how fast it goes...gets divided between five families.

jimmyinsd likes this.
  9. driedstick

driedstick Smoking Guru OTBS Member

HOLY SAUSAGE MAKIN!!!!!!! Great job,,, great looking flavors you did also.

10. johnnyb54

johnnyb54 Meat Mopper

I feel so inadequate:(

11. SmokinAl

SmokinAl Smoking Guru Staff Member Moderator OTBS Member ★ Lifetime Premier ★

Man that is a load of sausage!
    And it all looks delicious!
    Congrats on making the carousel!
    Al

Ethan Soland likes this.
  12. Looks like I was not the only one that had processing day yesterday! Congrats, nice links and I envy your smokehouse!!!

13. jp61

jp61 Master of the Pit ★ Lifetime Premier ★

That is a lot of work!
    Brings back memories...at my grandparents' place the family butchered 1 pig every year and it was an all day process.

Nice job! Enjoy!

14. Very impressive. The hogs wild or domestic (did you raise them). Neighbors used to butcher domestic hogs on Thanksgiving weekend as part of their family get together. Our family hunted ALOT. We always swapped them deer meat for sausage, hams, bacon. Was a good deal for both families.

15. troutman

troutman Smoking Fanatic SMF Premier Member

.....he picks up his jaw from the floor and re-attaches it to his skull.....

That sir is one impressive amount of sausage. You goin' into the business soon?

16. haha...I don't think so... way too much work :)
    I will say it's quite rewarding when it's all finished. My dad is teaching me the ropes on the smoker and he deserves much of the credit.

17. weev

weev Smoking Fanatic ★ Lifetime Premier ★

I dont know what to say besides YUM
    and Great job!

18. marvinonme

marvinonme Newbie SMF Premier Member

I'm envious:D That looks AWESOME!!!

19. crazymoon

crazymoon Master of the Pit SMF Premier Member

ES, Those are some pictures of sausage heaven right there ! Nice job on an incredible amount of goodies ! like

20. HalfSmoked

HalfSmoked Master of the Pit Group Lead SMF Premier Member

Couple days late on seeing this post and everything great that can be said has already been said.
    So WOW what a great job and wheres mine I'll send address for UPS. Awesome job

Warren