Sausage Grinding / Stuffing

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

sandyt

Original poster
Dec 14, 2013
Good afternoon all,

Since I am pretty new at all this sausage stuff, I have a couple of questions. I just purchased a Lem .35 Grinder / Stuffer.

1. How do you get all the meat through the grinder? I seem to have a small amount left and don't like waste.

2. How do you get the balance of the sausage through the stuffer tube? Again don't like wasting anything.

Thanks a bunch for any help / insight.

Welcome.  A technique I've learned through this site is to use a piece of bread after you put the meat through the grinder/stuffer and that will help clear out the rest of the meat. 

Thank you for your quick response. That is my method (old school - lol) but didn't know if someone had found a better / more innovative way of doing this. Thanks again!

Hi Sandy,

Another option is to run a rolled piece of saran wrap through your grinder. It will stay wrapped around your grinder auger, but not get through your plate or get mixed into your meat. It is very good at clearing the meat from your grinder.

For the stuffer, I wrap some saran wrap around a long wooden spoon handle. After stuffing sausage I push the remainder of the ground meat out of the stuffer and through the tube with the spoon handle. I'll use this sausage just as bulk sausage rather than trying to get it into a casing.

Hope you find this helpful!
Clarissa

Do the bread then remove the tube from the grinder and roll a small (ball) piece of paper towel and place it in the stuffing tube and push the meat out of the tube and into the casing with a bent in half coat hanger then cut the casing to remove the paper towel unless you want paper towel sausage LOL

I went to Home Depot and bought dowels that just fit through each stuffer tube.  One time purchase.  When I get to the end of my stuffing, I leave the casing still on the tube, unscrew the holding nut, scoop any loose sausage up and then push the dowel down the tube, then add any loose sausage to it and push it through again until I get all the meat into the casing, wasting nothing.  Or, I loosen the nut, remove the stuffing tube and push the meat in the tube into the casing, then fry up what is left into a patty for "Quality Control Check"...... (ahem!).  

They were 4' dowels, cut them in half so I'd have an extra set should they wear out.

They work like a charm!

The dowels work.

Always a little left in the bottom of the stuffer.

If no dowels?  Bet you have some wood spoon handles sitting right next to your stove.

Also?

Why not just a nice patty of sausage in the fry pan?

Makes a great treat for the guys and gals who went to the work to make sausage for their loved ones!

Good luck and good smoking.

The dowels work.

Always a little left in the bottom of the stuffer.

If no dowels?  Bet you have some wood spoon handles sitting right next to your stove.

Also?

Why not just a nice patty of sausage in the fry pan?

Makes a great treat for the guys and gals who went to the work to make sausage for their loved ones!

Good luck and good smoking.
yeahthat.gif

Yes us folks who cut the meat, mixed the seasoning or helped clean up or any part of the system for making sausage I left out, do deserve a treat at the end of it all.

pig.gif

When I'm finished grinding I take a bit of meat that's just been ground and run that through the grinder again to push out what has not yet been ground.
I then just clean out the grinder with a rubber spatula or whatever.

To clean the stuffer tubes I take the next smallest stuffer tube, put some plastic wrap over it and push the meat out with that.
For the smallest stuffer tube i put plastic wrap over a wooden spoon handle or the like.

~Martin

Reactions: foamheart
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky