Sausage for the Missus

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
I have heard you can use sugar to create a better browning effect. Havn't really played with it much, but from what I have read they recomend anywhere up to 3g per kg or around 10% of your final salt content. They do make it clear though to not add enough to detect any taste at all. Also if too much sugar is present in a long smoked sausage, you may have problems with the creation of lactic acid in your finished product. This would come out as a sourness in the final flavor. Overall sugar is a great ingredient in sausage to help stabilize color, and help cut the harshness of salt in your recipes so you may feel like playing with it a bit.

Other than that a great looking sausage Disco!

I have heard you can use sugar to create a better browning effect. Havn't really played with it much, but from what I have read they recomend anywhere up to 3g per kg or around 10% of your final salt content. They do make it clear though to not add enough to detect any taste at all. Also if too much sugar is present in a long smoked sausage, you may have problems with the creation of lactic acid in your finished product. This would come out as a sourness in the final flavor. Overall sugar is a great ingredient in sausage to help stabilize color, and help cut the harshness of salt in your recipes so you may feel like playing with it a bit.

Other than that a great looking sausage Disco!
Thanks for the suggestion, jtupper. Actually, they brown up fine in my cast iron or stainless steel pan. It is the same thing when I fry up spuds or cook backon. A nonstick pan just doesn't carmalize like the others. As you note, I do add some sugar to this recipe because I like a touch of sweet.

Disco

Thanks, Alesia. However, I suspect from your posts that you can do anything you set your mind to.

Disco

Last edited:
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky