SAUSAGE CASEING BLOWOUT

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

billy

Original poster
Dec 3, 2007
hi, i just bought Lem jerky cannon, i also bought 3/4 " caseing , i stuffed it with no problem...ok i had a little at first but i got the hang of it...i had a piece about 8" long so i figured what the heck i'll cook it...it no more got hot then it exploded, any clue as to why?  after that i thought well i must have packed it to full not enough growing room so i started leaving about 3/4" of space on 1 end...soooooo i tried it again on my grill it went longer but it did explode also...whats up? ty for any help...Billy

icon_cool.gif

First off welcome Billy to SMF. Now for your sausage explostions. You might have over stuffed the casing. then you might have not let them sit overnight and set up either. Did you take them straight from the stuffer to the pan??The other thing we need you to do is to swing into Roll Call and introduce yourself and we can give you the big howdy we like to give new memebers.

What do you mean by exploded? Does the casing split open or is the meat coming out the ends?

Splitting can be caused by a number of reasons, cooking them at to high a temperature, Over stuffing will do it too as will under stuffing with air pockets. Also if you don't mix the meat long enough to develop the necessary proteins to bind the water, it will also cause them to split.

As far as the meat pumping out the end. I can't be of much help. I did have it happen once with a very wet sausage mix. what did you use for your recipe?

Last edited:
What do you mean by exploded? Does the casing split open or is the meat coming out the ends?

Splitting can be caused by a number of reasons, cooking them at to high a temperature, Over stuffing will do it too as will under stuffing with air pockets. Also if you don't mix the meat long enough to develop the necessary proteins to bind the water, it will also cause them to split.

As far as the meat pumping out the end. I can't be of much help. I did have it happen once with a very wet sausage mix. what did you use for your recipe?

hi, exploded as in KA-BOOM...lol...yes the casing split open...there were no air pocket i don't believe, but i didn't leave alotta room for explanding either...i put them in the fredge over night so i'm going to go pull them out and try to smoke um...also every time i would twist them to make a link, it would just untwist...i'm useing collagen casing...i'm useing the beef sticks recipe from Lem...plus added a few things of my own...i can never resist....

i may not have mixed it long enough i don't now didn't know there was a time limit....ty everyone for ur help...

Collagen won't hold a twist, you'll need to tie them off with something like string, wire, or even paper clips. And as far as mixing goes, you want to grind and add the seasoning then mix it till it really starts sticking to you fingers then you know you are good to go.

Last edited:
hi Dan...i buy the pork ground already   99 cents a lb.  its there trimings,  well my meat was for sure sticky so i guess i got it right...i took it out of the smoker not long ago and mmmmmmmmmmmm....i used the Lem seasoning for snack sticks and added some mc cormicks peppercorn and galic and added a little chipolte pepper seasoning andddd a little caynne pepper, it turned out really great, i wouldn't change a thing...even the sausage itself turned out great as far as casing goes...i think i may be hooked...lol...ty everyone

What! NO Q................................  being a newbie we'll let you go this time. Next time try to find some natural casing in your area 

Fill out your profile so your neighbors will be able to see you

Last edited:
Callogen casings do not link or I should say you should use butchers twine to tie links.  When I use callogen casings which is very seldom cause I dont like them and prefere natural hog casings, I stuff one long tube and just cut them into link sections.  Callogen in my mind is not as resilient as natural casings and I have found they will split often with sausage especially if over filled with a high fat content mix.

Your sausage should still taste just as yummy so I wouldnt be to concerned about it.  Just my 2 cents.

hi again, is natural casing the way to go? is it a lotta work to get it ready?   well i made another batch but wasn't around to watch my smoker and the sausage temp. got up to 190 internal...the collagen casing was like leather....i guess i could just take it out of its casing and cook it...but thats no fun..

anyway ty so much for ur help and advise...

i did go to the newbi board...i'm smokebutt i just forgot my password and i'm useing a new nic...ty again...i took some pic. of my santa maria grill i built plus a couple of my fridge smoker...i need to learn how to get them on here...

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.
Clicky