1. Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.

Sausage basics.

Discussion in 'Sausage' started by Oleg, Oct 1, 2018.

1. Oleg

Oleg Smoke Blower

I am as new as they get...
    Just bought some raw brats at a local store. Smoked as following:
    1hr. at 140F then 1hr at 160, and then 1hr at 180. Came out nice red color but I suspect they are a little raw. Taste good though! Now waiting for them to cool down in the fridge and will try again in the morning.
    Any tips, suggestions, anything at all?

Test run.jpg

2. SmokinAl

SmokinAl Smoking Guru Staff Member Moderator OTBS Member ★ Lifetime Premier ★

You need to check the internal meat temp with a thermometer, and for fresh sausage it needs to be smoked at 225 or higher. At the temps you cooked them at, there is no way they are safe to eat. For ground meat you need to get it up to 165 degrees in the middle of the sausage.
    Al

CarolinaQue likes this.
  3. Oleg

Oleg Smoke Blower

Thank you for your response SmokinAl.
    It did seem to be on the raw side a little. Once I found out I boiled a pot of water, turned off the heat and put sausages in the water for 10 minutes. They got much firmer. I wonder how you check the internal temperature. What thermometer you are using.

4. SmokinAl

SmokinAl Smoking Guru Staff Member Moderator OTBS Member ★ Lifetime Premier ★

That was a smart thing to do.
    This is a very good thermometer & priced very reasonably.
    They make several different ones with dual probes & remote capability, but this one will do the job & it is very accurate.
    https://www.thermoworks.com/ThermoPop
    Al

5. Oleg

Oleg Smoke Blower

Thank you for the link the website with a good thermometer.
    What would you recommend as a good starting point for the temperature/time for smoking brats?

6. bmudd14474

bmudd14474 Smoking Guru Staff Member Administrator Group Lead OTBS Member SMF Premier Member

Id smoke them between 275-300 until done.

CarolinaQue likes this.
  7. Oleg

Oleg Smoke Blower

Thank you bmudd14474. What I am trying to achieve is something similar to polish kielbasa. It seems like lower temperatures produce closer results.

InThePittBBQ likes this.
  8. Polka

Polka Newbie

Food safety concerns, smoke only sausage that had cure added to it first -- so, you might have to start making your own <grin -- it is habit forming>.

Fresh sausage, like you bought, are usually simmered in water, butter, beer, onions, bell peppers -- any or all -- and then browned off on a grill / over charcoal (etc.) just before serving.

9. Oleg

Oleg Smoke Blower

Thank you for your response Polka. I agree it's a different kind of sausage. I just thought it was such a convenient way to experiment.

10. Polka

Polka Newbie

You were okay to think that, but no cigar. Sorry to pop your punkin. But, jump in with both feet in making your own. You will never turn back. Great stuff. Enjoy! R