saturdays smoke

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

smokincowboy

Smoking Fanatic
Original poster
OTBS Member
Jan 29, 2007
between Columbus/Dayton Ohio
Ok so I posted about my birthday bash for saturday. The smoke will be 4 yard birds brined and some rubs maybe different on each, a brisket. a rack o ribs,some brats and some chubs. may have to use the grill too. now this will be my first smoke so I hope at least some of it is good . going to start the smoker around 7 am and hope for a 5pm dinner will be some of them beans ya'll like and some of the wifes potato salad that i posted the recipe deviled eggs green bean caserol anda lot of other food oh forgot the cake and icecream wish me luck and if anyone can tell me when to and what to put in as the day goes on thanks and I have printed out your past advice and things that will help me thanks all

How big a brisket? 10 hours might be cutting it kinda close, especially if it plateaus (and it probably will)!
icon_rolleyes.gif

up in smoke my son just called and said this one will take about 16 hrs he has smoked some and is going to help wooooohoooooo. so I guess I will be up most of the nite too hope I dont sleep through the eats:) using pair wood

that sound more like it on that brisket..i know it all going to turn out great.and just think that way you can be up for your whole birthday..not missing a min. of it..happy brithday and good luck..we what picture don't sleep...

Shoot Smokincowboy....I thought ya meant you were use'in two different kinds of wood...hehe!!!! Good Luck with your smoke..

Steve

boy for my first smoke all that could go wrong did first heavy rain so we moved everything in the barn then the heat would not get over 190 so we put the chickens and ribs in anyway couldnt get the brisket in so we cooked it in the oven all is going well and my son took out the ribs and put them on the grill and basted them with his bbq sause and put them in alu. foil the chicks got up to 150 and stayed so at 5:00 we put them in the oven to get the heat up by this time the ribs burned well the chicken and brisket were good and the wicked beans (great) the rest of the eve. was fun and family so all turned out well still dont know why the heat stayed at 190 acted almost like the gas was restricted the flame was week looking

Smokingcowboy, did you check the fitting that screws into your tank. I have had bugs or spiders build a nest in the opening and restrict the gas flow. also if your flame was real yellow/orange there could also be a restriction in the burner, spider webs or a bug nest if the unit has been sitting for a while. Just a thought. Steve

Sorry to hear you had a difficult time smokincowboy, It defintley sounds like somthing is amiss if you couldn't get your temp's above 190* on a GOSM gasser, like you said sound's like the gas is being restricted somehow, let us know what you figure out.

going to use the air hose on it to try to clean out all the hoses and things but all in all was a very happy and bussey day got a lot of (man thats good ) remarks hte chubs and chicken mmmmmmm mmmmmm them wicked beans 2 thumbs up ..... family and friends what else could a guy ask for and a lot of great people here to lend help it is very cool thanks all for the help and b.day wishes

I don't know anything about your smoker, so take this for what it cost you.

I had a grill do that, weak flame. It had one heat setting, ON, and that was it. It just kept getting weaker and weaker and took for ever to grill anything. So I took a drill bit and drilled out the LP orifice located before the burner. But first check the air/lp mixture, that screen(mine had anyway) was clean, but that also could be a problem........maybe.

After I drilled it out, EVER so slightly(Does not take much), it worked great.

Just an idea.

Sorry your first smoke didn't go as planned, but I give you
PDT_Armataz_01_34.gif
PDT_Armataz_01_34.gif
for diving in head first! You just jumped right in and went for it, I had to test the "waters" first before I dived in. What ever you do, don't give up. I always feel like I am just one smoke away from a "perfect" smoke. Remember that if it were easy, it wouldn't be fun.

You'll find the "smoking gods" will shine on you soon.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky