Saturday Porterhouse: Foiled Again Batman (Pics And Lotsa Dialog)

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

tx smoker

Legendary Pitmaster
Original poster
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Apr 14, 2013
Lago Vista, Texas
Back in November I placed an order for shortloin roasts from CPB. They come two roasts to an order and average weight per order is about 50 pounds. Took the largest of the two and cut a special roast for a special person to serve for a special occasion. Sadly that special person left this world before the occasion came to fruition. The roast has been vac sealed and in the freezer for months. Every time I open the door I wonder what the heck I'm gonna do with that thing. Finally decided to defrost it in the fridge for a few days and cut it into porterhouse steaks. I got 5 beautiful steaks and 2 packages of cubed meat from the end which was all weirdly shaped. Four of the steaks were vac sealed and put back in the freezer. The last one I kept out for dinner.

Planned to do the steak, a nice salad, and loaded baked potatoes. Steak was going to be done on the Rec Tec with low temp / extreme smoke to about 120, removed to cool, then seared at high temp. When doing whole taters I just rinse them, poke a few holes, and into the microwave for a few minutes. I've never gotten any additional flavor by smoking them or cooking on the grill so the microwave is quick and easy. Dinner is planned. Fast forward later in the afternoon and time to get dinner rolling. Needed to shred some fresh cheddar cheese for the loaded taters so got the Ninja food processor out and did about 2 pounds. As I started washing the components of the food processor, the entire world went south in a galactic basket in the span of about 10 seconds...literally. BOOM!! Power goes out. Smoke detectors start chirping due to lack of power and the dog freaks out. She hates those things and runs to me for support. I got blindsided by a panicked fat dog and sliced my finger open on the Ninja shredding disk. Tracy starts hollering from the pool for me to please bring her another beer. My hearing aid batteries die at this point. So here I am...bleeding like a stuck pig, tending to a berserk dog, deaf as a fence post, and a thirsty wife in the pool wanting a beer. Are we having fun yet? Wrap the finger in a paper towel and manage to get to the bathroom with the dog between my feet and put on a couple big band aids to staunch the flow of blood. Out to the garage to change hearing aid batteries with dog still on my heels. Stop on the way back through and grab Tracy a beer, which got delivered to her in the pool. Back in the house and my phone is blowing up with alerts from the electric company hoping to have power back on in about 3 hours. Now it hits me: my entire dinner plans are down the tubes. Rec Tec won't run without electricity nor will the microwave. Time to drop back 10 and punt. At this point I don't have an hour to cook the taters whole on the grill so cut them into what basically equated to home fries, seasoned, into a grilling wok, and on the grill. OK, there is the history of my Saturday afternoon. Now onto the meal.

The roast before slicing it into steaks. Just over 13 1/2 pounds
003.jpg

The steak I kept out for dinner. Right at 2 pounds. Beautiful chunk of filet for Tracy!!
004.jpg

The salad. Mostly multi colored tomatoes with some celery, onions, olives, Parmesan cheese, and tossed with garlic EVOO and red wine vinegar. Sorry for the dark pic. No lights in the house.
005.jpg

Steak seasoned: Worcestershire sauce, kosher salt, and CBP
006.jpg

Taters on the grill
007.jpg

Steak on the grill over the sear burner when the taters are almost done
008.jpg

A few minutes then flip
009.jpg

Done and into the house to rest for a few minutes. Another dark pic
010.jpg

Cut the strip side off the bone and plate with the salad and taters. That chunk of meat is over a pound.
011.jpg

Not too bad for having to improvise
012.jpg

Close up. A little over done on the outer edges but not a travesty.
013.jpg

Well, this one did not turn out quite like I'd hoped but it was still a very good meal. Even the medium parts of the steak were super tender and flavorful. Taters were very good but slightly over salted. Salad was fantastic and so refreshing!! Oh well, this was quite an adventure but luckily I had the tools to put together a back-up plan, albeit shooting from the hip. Apologies for another steak thread but with the limited proteins I can cook for Tracy, beef is our predominant dinner component. Being that I love a good steak though, I really don't have a problem with it :emoji_wink:

Gonna call this one done. Thanks to all who braved the lengthy dialog if you managed to make it all the way to the end. Hope everybody is having a great Sunday and all you fathers out there are getting waited on hand and foot :emoji_laughing:

Robert

Oh do I sympathize with the loss of power, Robert. Where we used to live it would faint at the drop of a hat or the issuance of a pending bad weather alert. I vowed to fix that when we built and did so. Got moved in last year front side of May and finally the whole home backup generator showed up and was installed the front side of November. Now the craziness that ensued with your event was something. Hope the cut wasn't too bad. By the looks of that flat gorgeous porterhouse I'd say you definitely deserved every bite of it. Hope you had a good wine to go with it.

I hate days like that Where all the bad happens at once. However that was a nice save and way to keep your head down and pull. The meal looks great, as far as I am concerned you can post all the steak you want. Always looks delicious. I hope everything smoothed out after.

Hate to laugh..But, the mental images are too much from your description. Looks like it worked out in the end. And Tracy got her pool beer! :emoji_laughing:
Jim

Reactions: DRKsmoking
Sounds like an episode from Three's Company.

Newton third law: "For every action there is an equal and opposite reaction". It looks like your opposite reaction countered the action brilliantly. That steak looks fabulous.

Point for sure
Chris

Wow Robert, way to turn lemons into lemonade and Tracy got the next beer...good on you!

Way to improvise, adapt, and overcome Robert😃 awesome meal for a punt, looks amazing! Those Ninjas can be tricky, I’ve almost lost a toe or two when I haven’t paid attention while cleaning🤣

So sorry to hear about your friend, but I know they were laughing their a@& off with that cook! Awesome right up and pics!

Great story and a great meal. I laughed because I’m convinced my hearing aids have a chaos sensor in them and when I need them the most is when the dead battery signal goes off. Maybe we both have Oticons. Haha!

When on Fire - Stop Drop and Roll

That is one way to not give in and still come out on the good side of a big mess all at once.
Pretty looking steak, and closer to how I like mine.
Good to have the gas backup. Taters and salad. Great meal

And at least Tracy received her drink and supper made it to the table. And a nice bone for the pup after a bad day for him/her.
All good now in the house of tx smoker

Good story Robert :emoji_sunglasses: way to handle a curve ball

David

Whoa, back up in the bright lights, well deserved and a fine piece of work Robert! RAY

Looks good Robert but I'm sorry I was laughing reading your story I dont know why but I was thinking that would be something you would see in a john candy movie, I'm still chuckling to myself here but I hope everything is all right.

Adapt and conquer!!..
Exactly!! Didn't have a lot of choice in the matter.
Oh do I sympathize with the loss of power, Robert. Where we used to live it would faint at the drop of a hat or the issuance of a pending bad weather alert. I vowed to fix that when we built and did so. Got moved in last year front side of May and finally the whole home backup generator showed up and was installed the front side of November. Now the craziness that ensued with your event was something. Hope the cut wasn't too bad. By the looks of that flat gorgeous porterhouse I'd say you definitely deserved every bite of it. Hope you had a good wine to go with it.
Thanks for the kind words Matt. I'm kind of at an impasse right now. I built our house and got some favors from contractors and suppliers I'd worked with for years so managed to pull off the build at a very reasonable cost. Property values in our community have skyrocketed over the past couple years. We are debating whether to cash out and build someplace else or stay here. With those unknowns I'm reluctant to add back-up power here but sure as heck will if/when I build the new house. If we decide to stay here I'll have it installed though.
The meal looks great, as far as I am concerned you can post all the steak you want. Always looks delicious. I hope everything smoothed out after.
Thanks so much. I appreciate the kind words and the understanding about our menu options.

Robert

Hate to laugh..But, the mental images are too much from your description.
Don't hate it Jim. I wrote it intentionally in a way that would make folks chuckle.
Sounds like an episode from Three's Company.
After proof reading it before posting I was thinking more along the lines of Laurel and Hardy :emoji_laughing:
Nice save. How is the finger and hope got doggie calmed down
Thanks so much. Finger is fine. Not a huge cut but fairly deep. The bleeding was more pronounced due to the water from washing the food processor. Dog is fine but I had to take the batteries out all the smoke detectors till the power came back on.

Robert

Reactions: JLeonard
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky