Saturday meat day

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

ddow229

Meat Mopper
Original poster
Jul 10, 2022
Christian County, MO
I did some poor man’s burnt ends and a pork loin yesterday with smoked potatoes. The burnt ends were done SPOG style. I think I cut some too small and some too big. Just a couple were cut just right. The smalls over cooked and the bigs undeecooked and the just rights, well, they were just right. My wife mixed up a recipe from Myron Mixon for basic vinegar bbq sauce and I finished the ends in that.
The pork loin was SPOG with a Cabelas Maple Bacon Chipotle Honey rub thing. I cut back a little on the percentage of salt I used and it made a huge difference . I have lunch planned with it all week!
The potatoes just rode the storm for 5 and a half hours. Temps ran between 225 and 250 for about 3.5 and then 275 to 325 for the final two. We are a couple last night, fried a couple with eggs this morning and plan to do a twice baked style tomorrow.
I “converted “ my OK Joes Longhorn 3-1 into a full smoker with a side burner. A 2-1. The difference of having the extra space is crazy! Temps held better by what I can only assume is added air flow. It was a good decision on my part. I bought it used cheap enough and already have a nice grill so it wasn’t the worse thing I will do this week.
A3EB1159-5630-4138-B92C-0C4AB2849A8C.jpeg
AEB70E87-7F01-43F0-BDDF-F0635CB62950.jpeg
9E03A4AE-6308-4FED-9B04-B36424F62194.jpeg
4F2661E3-3557-4B4B-AB08-E61CBA55E603.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:
Looks really good from my screen.

Point for sure
Chris

Reactions: ddow229
All looks great , I could sit for any of that right there.

And if I'm cooking , I'm learning .
I am always tweaking what I do and that is how we find out for ourselves.
What we should try next time, or what my wife tells me what I should do next time, lol

David

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Clicky