SaltyBones is my name

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

saltybones

Original poster
Dec 7, 2013
Kansas
I'm a newby and originally from Florida. I'm a service member with less than a year left. I will be medically retiring from the USA and want to start my own BBQ joint. Thanks a lot and look forward to talking...
Yummy!!!

Last edited:
Is there and app or something for this? I'm having trouble accessing this and apps our way easier.

Welcome. There a quite a few in the Apple App Store but haven't tried any of them. I've eaten BBQ all over the US and local versions of we would consider BBQ in Europe, Asia and SA. It is all great. 3 pieces of advice I would offer; 1) Know your meat. Learn as much as you can about the meats you intend to serve so you can tell the supplier what you need, not the other way around. 2) Be excellent and consistant every day. 3) Be unique. The flavors have to be SaltyBones'. Spend a good part of your off dutiy time experimenting and triyng your recipes out on your neighbors, buddies and family and if you can, try out Q recipes from other parts of the country. Lots of recipes on line. KC has some great Q to try but so do other areas. You can start with brines, rubs and sauces you find on line but then experiment over and over and over again with your own modifications untill you find the combinations that will make people remember that special Q they got at SaltBones. Actually, 1 more suggestion. Many communities have organizations of retired business folks that can help startups avoid common business mistakes. Use all the resources you can find to make the business end successful. Your base retirement transition office, or whatever it is called these days, might also be able to provide valuable business knowledge. Good luck to you.

Reactions: saltybones
Welcome to the forum salty bones  and thanks for your service - What branch?? remember the search bar at the very top will soon be your best friend if you don't find what you need let us know we will help ya out as much as possible

Remember a full smoker is a happy smoker

Here's a picture of some of my BBQ... Everyone that eats SaltyBones Q can't get enough. I make all my own rubs, brines, and injections. My only problem is my smokers to small...

This is the beginning and end of a chicken recipe I've been playing with. I would love to pick the mind of some of you guys/gals in here sometime. I'm kind of a greenhorn with the whole smoking thing but I'm doing something right because lots of people want it. I'm thinking SaltyBones"Q" is what I'll call my product. Oh yeah I'm active duty ARMY too. Someone asked what branch earlier... Thanks again...

This was the beginning of my chicken. I don't know why but I had to reload it. It was supposed to be a side by side... Anywho let me know what you think...

[h1]
texas.gif
Hello Salty and welcome from East Texas. This is a great site, lots of information and great people that are willing to throw in their two cents worth on about anything.   
[/h1][h1]  [/h1][h1]Gary[/h1]

Welcome to the forums!  Glad you've joined our group.  You'll find there are lots of friendly and knowledgeable folks here who genuinely enjoy helping one another.  Looking forward to your input, and just ask when you need anything...someone here will surely have the answer.

And thank you for your service to our country!  
usa.gif

Red

Thanks a lot seenred... I'm very excited about meeting new people and learning new things on here.

Here's some pulled chicken and drumsticks I made the other night for the family. They came out really tasty and if you have kids do your drumsticks this way. No mess at all, they just hd the bone...

Welcome to the forum, Salty. Looks like you got a heck of a start on some good Q. All the best to you.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.
Clicky