Salty deer/pork sausage? repost

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

masonman1345

Smoking Fanatic
Original poster
Dec 7, 2010
Orangefield Texas
I had some sausage made from a local smoker, 60/40. However it is too salty to eat. I was wondering if there was any way to eliminate some of the salt. Probably not but it never hurts to ask.

Just a couple thoughts here...

If the meat were not cased, just packed in containers, you could add low-salt cured meats, remix, and then stuff. If it's already stuffed into casings (especially if fermented, dried and smoked) you would break the texture by opening the casing to remix the meat, so that's not a viable option.

If you diced-up the meat and use it in dishes with no salt added in any seasonings, you would at least be able to make it into something edible. If it's really salty, keep the meat ratio moderate to low, and this should offset the saltiness.

A few dishes which come to mind are chili, tacos, enchiladas, pasta or diced/sliced potatoe dishes, egg-scramble burritos, stir-fried rice...there are many more I'm not thinking of at the moment, but it could be an infinite list...just put your creative thinking cap on and something good will always come of it. If you're with a significant other, ask her what she might like try with it as well. Women have ways with "leftovers".

Eric

Is it bulk or cased?  If bulk, mix it with a proportional amount of fresh ground pork based on it's saltiness (for example, if it's 10 lbs of sausage, mix another 10 lbs of fresh ground pork with it, doubling the volume and cutting the saltiness in half, or to whatever proportion you wish... just keep adding more ground pork until it tames it).

Thank you, It is cased and know i know that i may not have sausage but because of you all i wont loose it either. If you uncase the meat and add pork can i recase then smoke again?

Hey Mason, if it's cured already and you add raw pork I'm not sure what you'll end up with. And although I agree with Pop's idea of reducing the salt with more pork you'll be cutting the seasoning by the same ratio. If you double the meat you effectively reduce the spice block in half. But I guess that would still be better then salty sausage

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky