salt versus salty ingreients

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

dan the mano

Meat Mopper
Original poster
Dec 22, 2017
when doing smoking , can a person smoke with SOME salt and then use the other salty ingredients as the same, instead of adding say the Morton powder or prauge powder .I do hope that this is under stand-able to what i am asking.

thanks

If your talking about smoking at a low temp (no more than 170`) then the answer is no... you must use cure #1 or Mortons TQ ... If going to hot smoke (>225`) then cure is not needed... If that's what your asking about ??

Reactions: dan the mano
If your talking about smoking at a low temp (no more than 170`) then the answer is no... you must use cure #1 or Mortons TQ ... If going to hot smoke (>225`) then cure is not needed... If that's what your asking about ??

well thank you , yes i usually smoke at say 160-170 for my je4rky and of course hotter for my ribs and such, i kinda thought that , however i"ve still never used it .... thank you again

well thank you , yes i usually smoke at say 160-170 for my je4rky and of course hotter for my ribs and such, i kinda thought that , however i"ve still never used it .... thank you again

Like Jack said, You don't need cure when you Hot Smoke. (at 225° or so)

You can get away with lower heat on Jerky, because it's sliced so thin, but if you plan on making Belly Bacon, Buckboard Bacon, Jowl Bacon, Canadian Bacon, Dried Beef, etc, etc, you're going to need to use a Cure, like Pink Salt or MTQ.

Bear

Like Jack said, You don't need cure when you Hot Smoke. (at 225° or so)

You can get away with lower heat on Jerky, because it's sliced so thin, but if you plan on making Belly Bacon, Buckboard Bacon, Jowl Bacon, Canadian Bacon, Dried Beef, etc, etc, you're going to need to use a Cure, like Pink Salt or MTQ.

Bear
hey great thank you .. i was thinking something like that ... but just couldnt put it all togeather .

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky