Salt Block

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Kevin DeShazo

Smoking Fanatic
Original poster
OTBS Member
Nov 7, 2018
Not really sure else to post this, one of my neighbors was moving and offered me a salt block. Although Ive never used one, hey free cooking stuff.

Now my question, how hell do I use it, I mean I know to heat up to a screaming hot temp and plop some meat on it but is that done on the grill or oven?

Whats some good things to put on a screaming hot block of salt. I know that there are restaraunts that is their attraction, cooking your own steak on one of these blocks.

Where do I start besides here and Google?

Reactions: JLeonard
Is it a Himalayan pink salt Block? My brother has one and we have used it a few times. But he always had it in the freezer and we pulled it out and placed fresh cut Sashimi on it. We have done Ahi and Hamachi and Salmon and Ono on it. Keeps the fish super cold and adds a nice hint of saltiness to it. Never did anything hot on it though.

And my water softener... Let's see what others say...
They make a nice night light.. Who's next?

salt_light.jpg

• Haha
Reactions: JLeonard
You can use them in the oven or on the grill, perheat it for at least 30 minutes before adding any food to it. Lightly oil the meat or fish before putting it on the block, or it will stick.

Reactions: Redicans
Heat it slowly in the oven up to 450 or so, so it doesn’t crack.
Put it on a container with a bit of kosher salt in the bottom, and use it to cook thinly cut dead things quickly. If you’re careful, you can even do stuff like chicken livers as long as you observe the “heat it slowly” caveat when you are using it again after cleaning it off.
Obviously, dry mechanical means are superior, but I’ve used plain water and bronze wool to clean up ours after doing stuff like fish.

I was gifted a Himalayan pink salt block several years ago and have only used it in a frozen capacity.... I set small slabs of smoked salmon on top to keep them chilled etc etc. That said, oh boy does it make a mess when the condensate starts running off. I set it on a towel or a non-wooden cutting board when using to keep the mess to a minimum. I've never heated it up, but might just try it some day.

Reactions: Redicans

Heres what edmonds edmonds did....Might give ya some idea.

Jim

I bought one on Craigslist a couple years ago, but never got around to trying it out. From what I read, once you heat it to cook foods, you cannot go back and use it for cold foods. I don't know why.

I bought one on Craigslist a couple years ago, but never got around to trying it out. From what I read, once you heat it to cook foods, you cannot go back and use it for cold foods. I don't know why.
I would suspect that that is false.
If you mechanically remove food particles from the block, and then use water to dissolve a layer of the salt, and then cook the thing in a ~500 degree oven to pretty much denature any protein which is left….
But it’s your call😎
Mine never tasted like much other than hot…

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky