Salsa Verde Taters

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

chilerelleno

Legendary Pitmaster
Original poster
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Salsa Verde Taters
A deliciously tasty dish, tangy and mildly spicy.
Goes great with almost any smoked or grilled meat.

Preheat oven to 400°
Southwest Style Hashbrown Taters, enough to fill a 9x13 casserole dish 1/2" below rim
***Use diced hashbrown potatoes NOT shredded***
1 large white or yellow Onion, diced
2 7oz cans of Salsa Verde
1 28oz can of Green Enchilada sauce
***You may not use all the enchilada sauce, you want the ingredients wet but not swimming***
1 small can of minced Green Chiles, drained
1 large Bell Pepper, diced
1/2c Cilantro, chopped
2T Garlic, minced
Salt, Mexican oregano and cumin
A generous amount of queso Fresco, Cotija or Anejo can be crumbled atop in the last 1/2 hour (optional).

To make this Side Dish into a Casserole, just add a precooked meat.
I recommend grilled and cubed chicken or pork, Mexican chorizo works good too.

I measure my taters into a 9x13 casserole dish and then transfer in to a mixing bowl
Then add the onions, bell pepper, green chiles and garlic, this is also the time to add your meat if preparing a casserole.
These are followed by the salsa verde and then enough enchilada sauce to thoroughly wet the whole mix.
Back into the casserole dish and cover with foil, then into the oven to bake at 450° till bubbling hot.
Once bubbling hot remove foil and add cheese, return uncovered to the oven till the cheese is melted.

yFj0Fpu.jpg

tjoWkBq.jpg

Last edited:
Looks great Chile, One question is it thick or runny on the plate?

Point for sure.

Chris

I am going to try this one, so my post is for reference. I don't like onion so ill be swapping for peppers.

looks great btw

Chile that looks great. Do you have any preference for the brand of salsa verde?

George
Homemade whenever possible, but unfortunately that is seldom.
Thankfully I like the Herdez brand of canned products, their salsa verde, casera and other items, e.g. Chipotle Chiles in Adobo sauce.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky