salmon...i am just doing it simply

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

mrmosh303

Smoke Blower
Original poster
Nov 5, 2013
Hudson, Co
so...been reading some of the posts from another spot in the forum about smoking salmon...brining for hours, waiting times and stuff like that...i am just going to rub the fish, with a schultzs rub from costco, and i will let that set for about an hour and 15, then i am going to smoke for about 2 at a little under 200...or an internal temp that is safe, whatever comes first...i will post qviews...

Wow, my brining time for filet's is typically 6-8 hours.  Rinse and dry for 2-3 hours.  Smoke for 3+ hours.  So many different ways.

Last edited:

Brining time for filet's is typically 6-8 hours.  Rinse and dry for 2-3 hours.  Smoke for 3+ hours.
This is where different people have different methods - I do the reverse. I usually dry cure mine in salt and sugar for 2-3 hours (depending on thickness) and then cold smoke for about 8 hours.

Ahhhh, but  Wade, you do hot cook the fish later before serving, yes?   So many different ideas  :thum

Last edited:
turned out great!! the cook time was about 2 hours at 200...like i said, just a dry rub from costco and sit on the cookie sheet, on the counter, for a little more than an hour...and used pecan chunks for smoke, TBS during the full time...

was not dry, skin peeled right off the meat and very smoky...enjoyed completely...next to some pierogis...what else would a good polack do??

That looks fantastic! 
drool.gif
    What type of flavor did that rub generate?     Thanks for sharing the finished product pics.

Last edited:

Wade,

Do you do any high temp smoking or cooking afterwards?    Your recipe almost sounds like doing lox.  I would love to try your method, sometime.
Yes it is very similar to the method for lox however as I only smoke the fillets for a few hours the moisture content has not reduced to the level required for it to be lox. Once it has been smoked then I either chill or freeze the salmon. It then gets cooked at 180 C (355 F) in the oven or smoker for 12 minutes before eating. Firm, moist and very tasty.

I also use this method when making lox but then smoke it until the weight of the fillet has been reduced by 18-20%.

You can find a couple of Q-views of mine on the following links.

http://www.smokingmeatforums.com/t/140785/smoked-fish-fillets-salmon-cod-and-haddock-q-view

http://www.smokingmeatforums.com/t/155611/ran-out-of-salmon

Last edited:
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky