Salisbury steaks , gravy and mash

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

jcam222

Epic Pitmaster
Original poster
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Jun 13, 2017
Northeast Ohio
Comfort food has been my theme the last couple of weeks. Here’s another comfort food for a cool fall night. This is one of my personal favorite meals and all keto / low carb of course. Thick juicy Salisbury steaks on a rich white cheddar and ranch seasoned cauliflower turnip mash. Topped with a savory beef and onion gravy with a side of steamed green beans. Browned the Salisbury patties and fried the onions on the Blackstone then finished in my huge cast iron skillet in the oven. Six lbs ground chuck, 2 cups almond flour, 1 cup powdered Parmesan, 1 cup dried minced onion, 4 eggs, 4 t garlic powder, 2 t salt and 2 t black pepper. Browned up on the Blackstone and then into cast iron getting ready for the oven Into the oven @ 350F for 25 minutes
220F2C90-41A6-424F-9F8E-0F34FB6CC14B.jpeg
4 medium onions quartered and sautéed. Sliced nice and thick so they don’t cook away. Set to the side when finished
8A3AB802-6135-4324-BABB-C48590E6F064.jpeg
Next up is the gravy. Didn’t get a lot of process pics. Generally 12 cups beef broth (I use Minors concentrate) , 1/2 cup no sugar added ketchup, 1/4 cup Worcestershire, S&P to taste. Bring to a boil , reduce to a simmer and cook down by roughly 25%. Turn off heat and add 8 oz of softened cream cheese. This is where you get the thickness without flour or cornstarch. Stir in and then hit with immersion blender until creamy. If you want thicker add xanthan gum. I used about 2/3 t. Add in the onions Note this made a bit to much liquid so I reserved about 4 cups prior to adding onion
59C62CEB-90CF-444F-873F-2001ADD38D8B.jpeg
Remove pan from oven and drain most of the grease. Pour gravy into the skillet with the Salisbury steaks. Pour in enough to cover them partially. You may have extra but hell you can never have to much gravy. This will freeze well too.
7C02E116-B661-4940-B43A-5D70C05DFB1C.jpeg
FBE5D2A8-EF64-4703-BBF4-0EA11425EA6F.jpeg
Out of the oven and onto a serving platter with some of them.
20D98EB8-AE4E-4DCC-AB6F-A357BB77FD64.jpeg
Served up with the mash and some green beans. I didn’t capture the mash process in pics. Basically two heads of cauliflower. I nuke the cut up pieces in the microwave with 1/2 cup water for 25 minutes. While that was doing I peeled , cubed and boiled 5 medium turnips until tender. All drained well, blotted out on towels to dry it well (don’t want a runny mash). Riced by hand then added 2 blocks softened cream cheese, about 12 oz. shredded sharp white cheddar and 2 packs of Hidden Valley ranch seasoning. Finish with an immersion blender until you get perfect creamy texture. Green beans were just steamed and then tossed with some olive oil, minced garlic and salt
E6D58262-00AE-4F0C-966B-518AFFB14513.jpeg
Well that’s a wrap. Truly one of my top favorite meals of the year. Thanks for looking!

You wouldn’t want me for a neighbor. I’d be eating all your food. That looks fantastic Jeff. Just excellent. Nice job.

Reactions: jcam222
You wouldn’t want me for a neighbor. I’d be eating all your food. That looks fantastic Jeff. Just excellent. Nice job.
That would be fine, as you probably see most my cooks are volume lol. I share with neighbors, friends and family weekly.
That’s incredible! Book marked for later, man I gotta taste that!
Hope you like it. I was very pleased. As I said as written it will make quite a bit extra on the gravy. Next time I’ll add a couple more onions as this time I reserved a few cups without.

Reactions: bauchjw
Another awesome cook, jcam. I just finished eating a little while ago, and now I want to eat again.

That looks so good. I was craving Salisbury steaks while back and bought some of that frozen stuff. Man was that nasty. Going to have to give this a whirl.

Another fantastic piece of work all the way around Jeff, big Like! That mash really stand out to me, off carbs now, immersion blender is on my Xmas list! RAY

Wow Jeff, you never cease to amaze my friend. That looks SOOOO good and I agree 100%, that is the ultimate comfort food right there. Right up my alley and I'd probably devour that entire platter of Salisbury steaks. Very well done sir!!

Robert

This Salisbury Steaks looks great.
Mielone kotlety (pronounced myeh-LOH-neh kawt-LEH-tih) Literally "ground cutlets," is what we had. Mom called them just KOTLETY for short. They were what I later found out was a Polish version of Salisbury Steak. Kotlety was a favorite, " Quick Meal ", growing up. Similar to above with just Onions, S & P, Milk Soaked Bread and Eggs to bind.
You got me Hungry looking at all that good food...JJ

Another awesome cook, jcam. I just finished eating a little while ago, and now I want to eat again.
One of the great comfort foods here. Fantastic job Jeff!
That looks so good. I was craving Salisbury steaks while back and bought some of that frozen stuff. Man was that nasty. Going to have to give this a whirl.
Looks great . Never made it , but I've eaten my share . Favorite here too .
Wow, we had the same meat dish last night only with potatoes and peas instead of the green beans.
Looks great Jeff
Wow Jeff, you never cease to amaze my friend. That looks SOOOO good and I agree 100%, that is the ultimate comfort food right there. Right up my alley and I'd probably devour that entire platter of Salisbury steaks. Very well done sir!!

Robert
Looks fantastic!
Thanks guys. Appreciate the kind words. Leftovers today may have been even better!

Reactions: kilo charlie
Another fantastic piece of work all the way around Jeff, big Like! That mash really stand out to me, off carbs now, immersion blender is on my Xmas list! RAY
Ray once I got an immersion blender I couldn’t figure out how I got by without one. I love doing lashes with flavors manipulated by cheeses and spices.
This Salisbury Steaks looks great.
Mielone kotlety (pronounced myeh-LOH-neh kawt-LEH-tih) Literally "ground cutlets," is what we had. Mom called them just KOTLETY for short. They were what I later found out was a Polish version of Salisbury Steak. Kotlety was a favorite, " Quick Meal ", growing up. Similar to above with just Onions, S & P, Milk Soaked Bread and Eggs to bind.
You got me Hungry looking at all that good food...JJ
Love the family food stories JJ. I think my grandmas were made very similar to yours. One of my favs as a kid and now. My grams was more of a straight beefy gravy whereas this one I did is very Worcestershire forward. I picked that up from my wife’s version. I like both.

Reactions: chef jimmyj
Man that looks awesome Jeff! Weather is really nice outside here so trying my best to get all outside work done before it gets cold. But when it does I'm ready for some comfort food!

Ryan

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky