Rust problems with the Lang?

Discussion in 'Wood Smokers' started by charcoal lump, May 14, 2015.

1. charcoal lump

charcoal lump Newbie

I've been reading up on the Lang and noticed a couple of people mentioning rust problems with their Lang. It seems like the rust issue is on the firebox. Has anyone else had this issue?

2. bruno994

bruno994 Master of the Pit

It's a pretty common with most offset stick burners, due to the high heat from the fire, it will begin to rust without the proper upkeep.  I will typically wire brush and repaint mine at least once a year, sometimes more depending on how many competitions I do.  I like to look good, while I cook good!  Some folks will oil their firebox every so often, some will spray it down with WD-40.  The pits with insulated fireboxes won't run into this problem because the outer layer is just a skin and has been protected from the high heat with insulation. 

Last edited: May 14, 2015
  3. charcoal lump

charcoal lump Newbie

Have you had any problems with rust on the cooking chamber?

4. bruno994

bruno994 Master of the Pit

None at all.

5. charcoal lump

charcoal lump Newbie

Thanks. I appreciate your responses! I'm really deciding between a Lang 36 hybrid and a Yoder Loaded Wichita because I want an offset stick smoker with grilling capabilities. I like what I read about the reverse flow design of the Lang but it does have a smaller smoking surface than the Yoder. Price and shipping isn't really a big deal breaker for me. What is your opinion?