Rust in a WSM for sale, what would be a deal-breaker?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Kanerigas

Original poster
Aug 8, 2019
I have a 22" WSM that I loooovve. But for some reason I like to search for them for sale. I found a newer model(has the probe grommet) 18" for $100! It looks almost new in the pics. But he says there is some rust on the inside due to water getting in. It also probably needs a new door. He is going to take some pics of the rust tonight and send to me. This seems like such a great deal. If there is rust, what would be a deal-breaker? Could I just sand it and spray some new high-temp paint over it to repair?

I just got my 20 yo back out and cleaned it up. The body should not rust. It is porcelain coated. It probably just needs cleaning. The grates can be replaced.

Reactions: b-one
I agree with Brian it's probably not rust and just needs a good wipe down.

Chris

It should have a 10 year warranty on it, so if the rust is really bad you can contact Webber and hopefully have it fixed/replaced.

The rust is either on the grates and/or the bolts/ledge strips the grates and water bowl rest on. Those rusted on mine, too, when it was new, after several storms and it sat uncovered. Due to the design of the lid, water will flow down the insides and collect in the bottom ash bowl if the WSM isn't covered with a tarp.

I worried about the rust at first, thought about replacing the ledge pieces, but decided to wait to see if made a difference. Five years later those pieces are CAKED with black grease from smoking and are still strong. Unless the rust is REALLY bad, I wouldn't worry about it. You can use the rust as a reason to ask $75 for it instead of $100.

The door on the WSM has always been worthless, but it works. Use the $25 savings above to order a gasket kit to seal the door and lid.

I wouldn't be too worried about rust...I picked up a used 18 WSM for 150.00 full of cobwebs, spiders, mud, rust on the charcoal grate and on the cooking grates itself. After some TLC and replacing the grates it's good as new. I even replaced all the vents and the door. I used a old bus tub I had around and soaked my rusted pieces in white vinegar for 72 hours and then scrubed and resealed with oil and heat. But many times you can get replacement parts at your hardware store or from Weber's site. For 100.00 that is a bargain.

I agree with everyone, hard to believe it would be an issue. I bought a used Performer around ten years ago and only had to replace the cooking grate. Do you smoke enough meat to need two smokers? I wouldn’t want to go back to 18 after getting a 22. I bought a $1000 gas grill to use as a smoker before I knew a little better after joining this site. I only moved up to a 22 WSM because I had a good home for the 18. And I bought the Performer to use as a rotisserie as well. We need not talk about the loss on the gasser I just wanted it gone, maybe I’m nicer then I thought.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky