Rum Injected Ham

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

jrakar

Original poster
Jan 23, 2018
Got the email on the double smoked injected Ham last week and going to try this for a Christmas party. Looks and sounds really good. What kind of rum should I use? I am a rum lover but never really cooked or smoked with it. Would a spiced rum be better or just a good dark rum? I am open to suggestions and looking forward to this Ham.

Was there Rum in the recipe , or is that an add in by you ?
Just asking because I would boil the alcohol out of the Rum and cool before injecting .

I saw the maple sauce one , the rum looks great as well . I would follow his lead . I just like to get rid of the alcohol for stuff like this . Then add whatever else to that and inject .

Got the email on the double smoked injected Ham last week and going to try this for a Christmas party. Looks and sounds really good. What kind of rum should I use? I am a rum lover but never really cooked or smoked with it. Would a spiced rum be better or just a good dark rum? I am open to suggestions and looking forward to this Ham.

I've recently tried a little bit of pretty expensive rum for my last ham cooking, it's called Rhum Clement 1952 ( first time I found it here: https://www.mostexpensiveshityoucanbuy.com/most-expensive-rum/ ). And what I can say - it has become even more delicious than I thought it would be.

Last edited:
Has anyone tried combining rum with the initial cure solution to make a ham? I'd probably cook off most of the alcohol first but would prefer to use real rum rather than a rum flavoring.. I even have some rum on hand already for making pear butter (jam).

What kind of rum should I use? I am a rum lover but never really cooked or smoked with it. Would a spiced rum be better or just a good dark rum? I am open to suggestions and looking forward to this Ham.
If the E-mail didn't elaborate on what type of Rum to use, I would be leery of doing the same as I don't cook with booze either so I can't give a answer. How about just using the Rum in a glaze mix instead, why would that work? I gotta do a search, that sounds good! Just spit ballin. Good Luck

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky