Routing thermometer into smoker

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

watery eyes

Smoking Fanatic
Original poster
OTBS Member
May 21, 2007
Detroit Suburbs
I was wondering how members have routed their probe thermometers into their smoker.

I have a new thermometer enroute and was considering drilling a small hole in the side of my GOSM to run the probe cable inside. Don't know if this is a good idea or if their are any better ideas out there.

If you have pictures of your set-up...please post them.

It usually works good on the GOSM to just run the probe down through the top vent. You can then use a chunk of wood, pot holder, or a towel and set the thermo on top of your smoker.

Sounds pretty simple - I didn't want to add any extra holes.

I have a little top hat vent extension that I have been using but I should be alright.

Thanks for the advice!

and a plastic 50-cd spindle lid over the transmitter on top of the wood in case of hail like today!

having serious temp issues currently. i got 4 racks of ribs in, and 2 sheets of ABT 's. the thermometer in the door of the gosm reads over 100º hotter than my probe which is sticking through the bottom of a rack of ribs into thin air...

not sure which is closer...i think i'll go with digital.

oh and the 2 pork butts are wrapped in up foil in the oven (had to make room in the smoker, ya know)...i'm givin them another 3 hours at least.

smells goooooood so far though!

MARK G

My door thermometer is off by about 50 degrees, but it's solid and I can usually keep temps right internally by doing the math adjustment. I keep two oven thermometers inside just for safety sake.

I'll rig my digital thermometer this weekend using the vent method and post a pic - thanks for the advice guys!

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky