Round 2 with Baby Back Ribs

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

tolarius

Fire Starter
Original poster
Nov 14, 2010
Chesapeake, VA
Morning Everyone,

So for Turkey Day I smoked some BB Ribs and I must have done a good job cause they were gone in a hour.  Now the ribs weren't completely fall off the bone which I have heard some people say that is the way it should be and some say not.  Below is the method to my madness, please take a look and feel free to comment or add suggestions....

Night Before

Clean Ribs

Remove Membrane

Pat Dry

Apply Coat of Mustard

Appy Dry Rub

Sit in Fridge Overnight

Day Of

Soak wood chips in apple cider vinegar for 30 minutes

Put really cheap beer in water pan

Smoke Ribs for 5 to 6 hours between 225 - 250

Hours 0 - 3:  add wood chips every 20 to 30 minutes

Hours 3 - 5:  spray apple cider vinegar on ribs every 30 minutes

Hour 5ish:  apply glaze

I have heard people talk about the 3-2-1 method, but I'm not a big fan of taking the ribs out to put in foil.  Just wondering if people have done it both ways where either they use or don't use the foil after 3 hours, and what did you like more? 

Also cooking up two more racks today since people liked them, pics to come. 

Your plan sounds like a winner, and as long as your folks like the ribs, you're doing it right. I have done ribs both ways, and my crowd likes the 3-2-1- method.Here's hoping you have another great smoke, and maybe some Q View. It's all good my friend.

Its all a personal preference. Some want a little tug on the ribs and some want them fall off the bone. In competition you don't want them to fall off the bone but hey your not in a competition so make them how YOU like them. 

If you want them fall off the bone, foil them.  BB's are 2-2-1 by the way, spares normally a 3-2-1.  Whichever I'm cooking I don't go the full 2 hours in foil because I like bones in my ribs. 
icon_mrgreen.gif
 I usually modify to 1 1/4 hour in foil.

But as the others have stated, it's all personal preference.  You may want to give both methods a try to see which you prefer the most.  But heck, if the ribs disappeared and everyone was happy, sounds like they had to be a big success! 
PDT_Armataz_01_34.gif

Have you ever really found any real flavor enhancement from soaking the wood or putting beer in the water pan?? I tried this a couple times and stopped.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky