root beer molassaes glaze..........

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

bob1961

Smoking Fanatic
Original poster
May 15, 2010
lackawaxen, PA.
i have a 10# pre cooked hickory smoked ham for a quick dinner today when my kids come over for our xmass GTG....i want to use a glaze and thought bout a molass/root beer based glaze for it with maybe some orange blossom honey as well....i'm doing a web search for a recipe as i'm typing this also, thx all and hope everyone had a great holiday so far........bob

Reactions: meateater
icon_cool.gif

Now it all sounds good there Bob. I can't wait to see it too.

icon_lol.gif
 i was hoping some body here had some ideas they would share on a recipe i can try
PDT_Armataz_01_34.gif
 ........bob

well here is what i made up for my root beer/molasses glaze that i am basting every 15 minutes till done in 2.5 hours at 350
PDT_Armataz_01_34.gif
 ........bob

Molasses/root beer glaze

1/2 cup packed brown sugar

8 tablespoons butter

1 cup root beer

1/4 cup dark molasses

1 tablespoon cider vinegar

salt and pepper to taste

Directions

Combine brown sugar, butter, molasses, root beer and cider vinegar in a large saucepan over medium heat. Bring to a boil, and reduce heat to low. Simmer stirring constantly until sugar has melted and the glaze has thickened in about 8 minutes. Season to taste with salt and pepper.

Bob i did a root beer molasses glaze for a ham christmas eve .

1.5 cups root beer 1/2 cup molasses and 1 tblspoon liquid crab boil.

Smoked over cherry till it hit 140°

Even wife said best ham she ever had.

Bob

oh guys this thing was awesome
PDT_Armataz_01_11.gif
 sorry i didn't/couldn't get any pictures....it was a store bought 10.93lb fully cooked skinless hickory smoked half ham with bone to start with and i sliced it every 1/2" in a criss cross pattern bout 3/8" deep....even though i did it in the oven at 350 degrees basting it every 15 minutes with a turkey baster for the first 1.5 hours untill the glaze was gone from the pot i made it in....then covered it with the roasting pan lid untill it hit 145 internal temp basting every 30 minutes with the pan drippings....it got nice and dark brown almost like it came out of my smoker that went bout 1/2" deep into the ham....i can't even describe the flavor it was sooo darn good and was something i never tasted before....this is going on my next set of ribs and even a pulled pork in my smoker
PDT_Armataz_01_34.gif
 ....i think i stumbled onto something here........bob

oh yeah i started with bout 3/4" of spring water in the roasting pan so it didn't get smokey when it was cooking....i still had a hard molasses coating on the bottom of the pan....so you might want to use an alum pan and just toss it afterwards, my roasting pan cleaned up easy enough after it went in the oven with bout an inch of water for bout 45 minutes.........bob

if you are gonna use the smoker i would use some sasafrass wood as well
PDT_Armataz_01_34.gif
 ....when i used some i sent you on my ribs they came out great.......bob

brought the ham to 140 in 2.5 hours....well i got before and after pic's, enjoy
PDT_Armataz_01_11.gif
 .......bob

3b476dc4_ham1.jpg

6ab832fd_ham2.jpg

Man that after pic looks outstanding !!! I  can almost taste it from here

icon_cool.gif

Well your glaze looks good there Bob. I like how thinck it looks.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky