Rooster

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

rrcon2000

Original poster
Mar 1, 2007
I was wondering if brining a store bought turkey is too much since most turkeys are already brined. I hate to ruin a good thing. Any suggestions would be great.

Thanks Rooster

Seems to me, the effect of osmosis will equalize its self as far as salt levels are concerned. By not oversalting your brine, and utilizing other flavors I canâ€[emoji]8482[/emoji]t imagine a 12-24 hr brine would hurt anything. A tip that has served me well is to taste your brine before you apply it to your turkey. If itâ€[emoji]8482[/emoji]s too salty for you, itâ€[emoji]8482[/emoji]s probably too salty for Mr. Gobble.
icon_rolleyes.gif

Rooster

You can read the lables and find turkeys that aren't brined, pumped or water added if posible - fresh turkeys sometimes frozen. If you do a brine you can still add flavors you want. Just stay away from the Butterball type and that sort.

I alwas brine my turkeys and their great!

I'm with dee-jay ,brine a turkey with no additives ,in Canada the Butterball brand is injected with vegatable oil,source out a bird with no additives such as a plain grade A or Ut ,in Canada it is law to have a UFT label stating an additives ,attached to any cut of meat that is not 100 % natural,hope this helps ,T-bone ,( Tim.)

Where I live, you can get a fresh Amish bird with no additives, salt, etc. Definetly worth the few extra cents per pound. This way you know exactly what and how much "seasonings" you added.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky