Rookie question #1 - Creasote

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

jrm80

Original poster
Jan 4, 2014
 I've only owned a smoker for a few days and have smoked some Salmon, Sea Bass, and Brisket so far. The Smoker is a MES30. I used the built in tube chip feeder for the first batch and an a maze n smoke tube for the second. Both batches left the bottom of the water pan sticky with condensed creasote. Is this normal or should I be worried about my airflow? I had the top vent about half way open and pulled the feeder tube out just a bit as I read here. Everything taste great, especially that toothfish, but I just want to make sure I am not feeding my family something dangerous. 

Thanks in advance,

Jeff

That sticky junk on the bottom of the water pan is normal. But whenever you are applying smoke you will want your top exhaust vent wide open so you are not restricting airflow. If at any time you are done smoking and just cooking then you can shut the exhaust vent and use your smoker more as an oven.

The new generation 2 MES units have a very small exhaust.  I suggest you open it all the way all the time to get good flow.I actually pulled my stock vent out and went with a 3" adjustable elbow with a flap damper. You want to keep that air moving so you don't get that build up.

And I don't use chips, I use small chunks for smoke flavor.  Longer lasting and better smoke flavor.

Last edited:
Thanks for the amazingly quick responses! I will keep it wide open when smoking.

Is it still a good idea to partially open the chip feeder to create more airflow while smoking also? My unit is a Gen 1 with the top vent. 

Thank again,

Jeff

I assumed that since it was recent it was a gen 2. But you're a lucky guy, the gen 1 is a better cooker. The exhaust on yours is much larger than the 2 and there is better flow thru the chip loader. But opening it will increase the flow and help your pellet tube stay lit. Play with it and see what works for you. All the best to you.

Thanks for the amazingly quick responses! I will keep it wide open when smoking.

Is it still a good idea to partially open the chip feeder to create more airflow while smoking also? My unit is a Gen 1 with the top vent. 

Thank again,

Jeff
Yes, many MES owners will pull the chip loader out an inch or 2, and/or pull the chip tray out just a tiny bit, to promote more air flow.  Every rig is slightly different, so you'll kinda have to experiment with yours to find the best combination for optimal air flow.

Red

Geerock,

What make & model temperature unit are using on top of your smoker?

Is it a dual probe? Has the lead in wire for the probe lasted for awhile?

My meat probe on my MES 40 isn't working correctly now.

I'm in the market for a temp unit that I don't have to replace the probe(s) periodically.

the meat probe went on my MES 30 while still under warranty, made me get a maverick. the people at Masterbuilt sent me a new probe free and it was simple to install.... still working, BUT not as accurate as the Maverick

That's an Auber Instruments 1203cph dual probe six step programmable PID. Its about a year old and no issues with the probes. It did need to go back to Auber once for a cooked SSR as the 1200 watt element is about at the edge of its capability. Since then I simply adjusted the output to 85% in the programming and no issues. It has auto tune that reads the cooker and will hold set temp to within a degree or two. I love it. It does all kinds of stuff in the programming like go to hold temp after meat hits finish temp, step up temp cook for bacon, etc, etc.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky