Rookie needs help w/ first smoke

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

derek712

Original poster
Nov 13, 2010
Near Sioux City Iowa
Ok just about ready to try my first smoke and need some help. I will be cooking on a ECB with mods,wife has a pork loin she is willing to sacrifice for my first try.I have tried to seach for answers on here but cant figure it out so was hoping peopl could help get me started. is there a difference between the lump or regular charcoal? Do I brine it? Do i spritz it? if so with what? Cook temp? Meat Temp? I know you have probably had these questions a thousand times so I apologize and thanks for any help. Oh, I am signed up for jeffs e-course

As far as your lump vs charcoal question you can use which ever you want. Everyone has their preference. The consensus is that lump usually burn a bit hotter and longer but it all depends on the quality lump or charcoal you are buying. Good charcoal can burn better then cheap lump and vise versa.

For your pork loin I usually done brine it. I like to slice it open and stuff it will all kinds of goodies then tie it up. I have used apples, prunes and onion and also another great one is stuffed with spinach, feta cheese, bacon and onions. Oh and don't forget the garlic and any spices you may like. Its hard to mess up a loin just fill it with stuff you like. I usually smoke it to an internal temp of around 150 then pull it and rest it in foil in a cooler wrapped in towels to let the juices distribute through the meat. Do a search for Stuffed Pork Loin and you will find a ton of posts to give you some more ideas for stuffing and spices.

Last edited:
Ok just about ready to try my first smoke and need some help. I will be cooking on a ECB with mods,wife has a pork loin she is willing to sacrifice for my first try.I have tried to search for answers on here but cant figure it out so was hoping people could help get me started. is there a difference between the lump or regular charcoal? Do I brine it? Do i spritz it? if so with what? Cook temp? Meat Temp? I know you have probably had these questions a thousand times so I apologize and thanks for any help. Oh, I am signed up for jeffs e-course

Agree with rb except I would say lump burns hotter for a shorter period of time. I like to marinade my pork loins in Mojo Crillio or some Teriyaki seasonings. Do not over cook it. I like 145 to 150, then wrap in foil for a 1/2 to 1 hour. Slice and serve.

I'm with the both of them. I don't brine either! I just put down some mustard & a cinnamon/chipotle rub my family love & put it on the smoker. take it to 145-150 & then pull off & rest. You can go wrong. just try your own rub to taste & don't forget the qview
icon_smile.gif

RB and Flash have it right on - follow their advice and it will come out great. Like Terry also said start playing with rubs and make it your own.

thanks for the help guys. When you say use mustard is it just regular mustard? and how do you apply it, just squirt it on and smear it around?

thanks for the help guys. When you say use mustard is it just regular mustard? and how do you apply it, just squirt it on and smear it around?

Yep just regular mustard and just squirt it on and rub it around with your hands. Don't worry it won't taste like mustard. Some say they can taste a better flavor by using the mustard and some say they can't notice it at all but it doesn't taste like mustard the main reason you are using it is to make your rub stick better. You can also use Olive Oil which I do a lot instead of mustard.

icon_cool.gif

First off Welcome Derek to SMF. I would say do what the pervous guys told you cause they have set you straight. Now you'll like it here for there are alot of really good folks here that would just love to help you with just about anything to do with smoking. Now there are alot of proven recipes for some amazing things here too. So if you need sign up for the E-Course it's free and it will give you the basics of smoking and some good methods to use also. So the next big thing for you to do is go out and get you something to smoke and if you happen to have any questions just post it here and we will be happy to answer them for you.

Welcome To Your New Addiction        

Welcome to the SMF. Glad to have you here. Lots of good folks, great recipes and knowledge. Looking forward to your first qview.
PDT_Armataz_01_34.gif

Welcome to the forum. If you ever want a super simple, but tastey loin chop, mix some buttermilk with Tony Chacharro's Creole Seasoning (mix to taste, but watch out it can get over salty). Put some thick 3" loin chops in a ziploc with the buttermilk mix overnight. Smoke it with a light mesquite till your internal temp hits 150°, rest them for about 10-15 minutes. Come out very tender and have a really pleasant light buttermilk tang on the finish.

Something that I have done with pork loin is to lard it with garlic cloves.   Take a sharp knife and put slits into the loin, then push a garlic clove down into each one.  They should end up all the way inside the pork.   Gives a great flavor to the meat.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky