Roasted Red Bell Pepper and Romano Cheese Cream Sauce with Crab and Shrimp over Linguini with Pan Fried Vermillion Snapper

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

indaswamp

Epic Pitmaster
Original poster
Staff member
OTBS Member
Apr 27, 2017
South Louisiana-Yes, it is HOT
Cousin and his wife finally had a free night so big dinner tonight. Started off with some salami, Calabrese sopressata and some goose pepperoni. Snacked on that while we prepped the meal.

First had to roast the red bell peppers over the open flame. Then Prep the fish with lemon juice, Seas Salt, and cracked black pepper.

Next, Saute the peppers and garlic in a little olive oil.
IMG_20211015_175958823.jpg

Once the garlic has a little color, deglaze pan with a little white wine then transfer to a SS bowl and immersion blend.
IMG_20211015_180852502.jpg

Return to pan, add the cream and cheese....I went a little heavy on the cheese.. It was a bit much and overshadowed the seafood and peppers...still good.
IMG_20211015_180115013.jpg

IMG_20211015_180940850.jpg

Reduce to simmer while you flour and pan fry the fish. Reserve fish in warm oven while sauce is finished and pasta cooks.

Served with homemade white wine and a salad.
IMG_20211015_191518038.jpg

Last edited:
Dang Inda, that is deliciousness right there. I for one would like the recipe. Heck yeah, now I’m hungry again.

Here is the Original Recipe I constructed right after having this dish many years ago in a local restaurant.

To Cook the shrimp:
1.5 lbs. of 16-21 count fresh gulf shrimp, peeled and deveined
1 tsp. blackened redfish seasoning
1 TBSP. corn starch

mix blackening seasoning with corn starch and season peeled shrimp with it, toss well and refrigerate until needed

The Roasted Red Bell Pepper Cream Sauce:

1 large red bell peppers
1 tablespoon minced garlic
2 tablespoons fresh basil
1 pinch of dried thyme leaves
1 tablespoon and 1-1/2 teaspoons extra virgin olive oil
3 tablespoons of white wine (Pinot Grigio, Chenin Blanc, Sauvignon Blanc)
1 cup half-and-half (for best results-buy real heavy cream make your own half and half with milk)
2-3 tablespoons grated Romano cheese (can substitute Parmesan)
2 tablespoons butter
salt and pepper to taste
pasta for 4 (I like linguine with this, but angle hair of vermicelli will work too)

1 Preheat broiler. Lightly coat the red peppers with olive oil. Grill peppers under the broiler until the skin is blackened, and the flesh has softened slightly. Place peppers in a paper bag or resealable plastic bag to cool for approximately 45 minutes.

2 Remove the seeds and skin from the peppers (the skin should come off the peppers easily now). Cut peppers into small pieces.
3 In a skillet, cook and stir the garlic, basil, and red peppers in 3 tablespoons olive oil over medium heat. Cook for 10 minutes, so that the flavors mix. deglaze pan with sherry wine
4 Place mixture in blender (careful it is hot), with pinch of thyme leaves and puree to desired consistency. Return puree to skillet, and reheat to a boil. Stir in the half-and-half and the Romano cheese; cook and stir until the cheese melts. Add the butter, and stir until melted. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
5 In a separate skillet, heat 1/2 TBSP. Extra virgin Olive oil along with 1/2 TBSP. unsalted butter over medium high heat. add shrimp and sautee until shrimp are pink and curly and slightly golden brown, do not over cook. Fold shrimp into cream sauce and stir in. Simmer for 5 minutes. serve over pasta with hot french bread on the side.

file.jpg

I did not blacken the shrimp this go around since we ate the pasta with pan fried snapper. I also added 8oz. of lump blue crab meat to the sauce.

Last edited:
Reactions: rjob and SmokinEdge
I did not have the recipe with me....I just winged it but could not remember how much cheese to add. Don't add too much or it will overpower the sauce.

Looks great. I made a very similar sauce with Jumbo Lump Crab and Fettuccine for a Throwdown years ago. Good Stuff...JJ

Hmmmm......got some shrimp hanging out in the freezer. Might have to give this a try.
Jim

Great looking dish, heck, I'd have been pretty darned happy with the charcuterie tray, Like! RAY

Dang Inda, that is deliciousness right there. I for one would like the recipe. Heck yeah, now I’m hungry again.
Looks phenomenal!! That is flavor explosion!
Looks great. I made a very similar sauce with Jumbo Lump Crab and Fettuccine for a Throwdown years ago. Good Stuff...JJ
Hmmmm......got some shrimp hanging out in the freezer. Might have to give this a try.
Jim
Great looking meal! I'll need to try this.
Great looking dish, heck, I'd have been pretty darned happy with the charcuterie tray, Like! RAY

Thanks Fellas!

chef jimmyj chef jimmyj - 1# of U.S. jumbo lump blue crab meat was priced at $39.99. I bought 1/2 # picked leg meat for $14....

Reactions: chef jimmyj
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky