Roasted Baby Spuds & Bird!

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

civilsmoker

Smoking Guru
Original poster
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Jan 27, 2015
Idaho
So dinner was my responsibility tonight so it was a classic winter plate....

Tonight I wanted to do a little more experimenting with my whole roasted bird technique.....this time I removed a bit more backbone and the. Used some kitchen shears and I removed the inner ribs.
DEB3D9FB-B2A5-4D5A-AE8D-B2483CF6B1C2.jpeg

Removing the ribs took some of the structure out so it didn’t keep as much as a air flow channel with them but when turned over the breast tips where “covered” by the remaining backbone, so I decided to role with it rather than truss it cause I was thinking it would keep the breast tip from drying out.
BEA0777E-59F1-4F9D-8EEA-6D64A683C5E2.jpeg

This cook will be done at 330 for a planned 90ish min!
8131841C-DC6D-42CF-B00A-0B14A2F9C9D6.jpeg

bingo 90 min w/ IT of 160/181, I’m really liking the looks of this cook!
D1760E7A-0692-40AA-B4F5-38736A3DAE5D.jpeg

The slice! Juicy tip to toe, I’m liking this adjustment to the whole roasted technique :-)
206F868F-4AF2-48AB-93B3-8B9D0F7A106B.jpeg

& the parts.....
D630393F-93EC-4908-A8FB-D11E9FBADEFF.jpeg

And now the “Plate”, joined with some roasted baby spuds (blanched and then dressed with garlic butter and a pinch of salt roasted @400 convection and an Italian dressed salad...
8518D4EE-E4FC-4C15-9FD2-78429DE88FC4.jpeg

The gravy was made from my frozen baggy of two turkey stock from Thanksgiving.....just simple roasted money!
FAAC6533-1C48-46A4-84E8-503C76F6D194.jpeg

That plate looks really good. And since my beef ribs are going on hour 12, I'm going to need you to send me that plate.. Thanks in advance . Seriously, great looks plate ! :emoji_thumbsup:

That plate looks really good. And since my beef ribs are going on hour 12, I'm going to need you to send me that plate.. Thanks in advance . Seriously, great looks plate ! :emoji_thumbsup:

Thanks and it’s in the express mail line.....I think the elfs may partake before it leaves the station......lol!

oh and you have way more patience than I, I would be eating this ribs, they are looking tasty!

Reactions: jaxgatorz
Very tasty and juicy looking bird Civil. I be down for a plate of that scrumptiousness.

Point for sure
Chris

That bird looks great man! I have been spatching and smoking mine for several years now but might have to give this method a try to switch things up. Looks juicy and tender! LIKE!

That bird looks great man! I have been spatching and smoking mine for several years now but might have to give this method a try to switch things up. Looks juicy and tender! LIKE!

SVOL, thanks! I have spatched many a bird but they have always left me wanting more from a visual side of things, so I starting thinking of another way to do it. First I went to just cut up into the parts, which gets every piece perfect, but still doesn't fit the Norman Rockwell picture......So I kept thinking and now I can say honestly after cooking several birds this way, including a 20lb turkey, I probably won't spatch again. The only reason would be to fill up the smoker shelfs for a big smoke, but other than than they will be "Debacked"

BuckeyeSteve BuckeyeSteve thanks for the like!

That certainly looks delicious!
I would have thought leaving in the breast bones would have made it more juicy, but as I can see from the photo, you have plenty of juice!
Nice work!
Al

That certainly looks delicious!
I would have thought leaving in the breast bones would have made it more juicy, but as I can see from the photo, you have plenty of juice!
Nice work!
Al

Thanks All! Removing the breast bones seem to help the larger part of the breast to cook a bit faster so overall the whole breast was a more uniform doneness. I have also found that the section next to the bone is always on the verge of under on a whole bird and this solved that. It also helps pulling it at IT 160. It was full of juice!

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky