Roast Beef - Sliced...

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

heyer5

Meat Mopper
Original poster
May 4, 2011
Waukee
Can someone point me in the right direction of making my own sliced roast beef for sandwhiches?  Thinly sliced, like you would purchase from a store?

I have a slicer but have yet to try any sort of beef on my smoker.  Since my wife is prego and cannot have cold meat sandwhiches, at least the store bought stuff, I'm thinking this might be something she'd like.

I'm just curious what the best cut of meat is to use for it..

Thanks in advance!

Can someone point me in the right direction of making my own sliced roast beef for sandwhiches?  Thinly sliced, like you would purchase from a store?

I have a slicer but have yet to try any sort of beef on my smoker.  Since my wife is prego and cannot have cold meat sandwhiches, at least the store bought stuff, I'm thinking this might be something she'd like.

I'm just curious what the best cut of meat is to use for it..

Thanks in advance!
I got just what the Dr ordered.

Check this link out:

http://www.smokingmeatforums.com/t/111938/rare-roast-beef-for-sammies-lots-of-views

Bear

That looks amazing.

I have a slicer just waiting to be used and a freezer full of beef from a 1/4 cow that we just picked up.

Trying to figure out if cold meat, in general, is something that she isn't supposed to have, or if it's the store deli meat that probably has preservatives or something of the sort in it.

Regardless, I think I'm going to make me some roast beef!

That looks amazing.

I have a slicer just waiting to be used and a freezer full of beef from a 1/4 cow that we just picked up.

Trying to figure out if cold meat, in general, is something that she isn't supposed to have, or if it's the store deli meat that probably has preservatives or something of the sort in it.

Regardless, I think I'm going to make me some roast beef!
If it's the cold meat she can't have, you can mix up some Au jus, heat it up, and drop a few slices in for a Hot Roast Beef Sammy.

Bear

If it's the cold meat she can't have, you can mix up some Au jus, heat it up, and drop a few slices in for a Hot Roast Beef Sammy.

Bear
That's what I'm waiting to hear back from the Doc on, whether it's cold meat in general or the processed stuff that you can buy.

She likes hot beef sandwhiches, but has been craving cold meat...

Any inputs on the type of roast to use?  Sirloin?  Top?  Bottom?

If you have a Sam's club around you, try their sirloin tip. It is cryopacked about 8-10 lbs. After slicing I cut the hard fat out with kitchen shears . I slice about 1-2 mm thick. I smoke for 3-4 hours until it's 138º. I have also had great luck with London broil on the grill sliced very thin for sandwiches. I would beat the doctor means cold cuta not cold meat. Store biught cols cuts have very nasty preservatives in them, where you homemade won't . Good luck.

That's what I'm waiting to hear back from the Doc on, whether it's cold meat in general or the processed stuff that you can buy.

She likes hot beef sandwhiches, but has been craving cold meat...

Any inputs on the type of roast to use?  Sirloin?  Top?  Bottom?
The one in the Step by Step I gave you is "Sirloin Tip", and I like it best for rare Beef sliced thin.

Bear

You are correct, it's for cold "cut", not cold meat.  Sliced roast beef here I come!  Now, to find time to do it between work and then family stuff this coming weekend.  Hmm....

IF you can find it for a good price, Eye of Round also makes for good roast beef.  It's normally more expensive than Sirloin Tip, but it's smaller and easier to work with and makes for cleaner slices.  By this I mean that it doesn't have the same concentrations of fat that you find in Tip, nor does it have the "seam."

Here's a pic of one that someone overcooked  :(

Last edited:
I find Eye Round to be tougher than Sirloin tip, but as long as you can slice it real thin, either one is OK.

I like to make dried beef from Eye Round, because there is no marbling inside it, and I slice it paper thin.

Bear

The bad part is that any meat that she has is supposed to be cooked well done.  I'm wondering if I can smoke the roast until 140 IT, cut in half, place my half in the fridge, and hers back on the smoker to continue cooking?  Sounds like it might work...

The bad part is that any meat that she has is supposed to be cooked well done.  I'm wondering if I can smoke the roast until 140 IT, cut in half, place my half in the fridge, and hers back on the smoker to continue cooking?  Sounds like it might work...
Cut it in half prior to smoking it, pull yours at 140° leave her half in until it hits the temp you are looking for. I really like using top and bottom round and like Bear, sirloin tip too! Of course tri tip makes great sandwees!

Reactions: demosthenes9

I find Eye Round to be tougher than Sirloin tip, but as long as you can slice it real thin, either one is OK.

I like to make dried beef from Eye Round, because there is no marbling inside it, and I slice it paper thin.

Bear
It's a tad bit dryer, but if cooked to a nice juicy rare to mid rare and rested, it's still quite tasty.     It gets into kind of the same issue some people have with Ribeyes, they don't like the fat that's distributed through it.

Personally, I prefer Tip pretty much exactly how your's was cooked.   

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky