Ring bologna (first attempt Water bath finish or smoker finish)

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

slavikborisov

Smoking Fanatic
Original poster
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Aug 24, 2021
Pennsylvania
Im planning on doing 43mm collagen casing for my bologna and I also have 70mm. I was curious if any has tried this : I have a few guys I work with that put their bologna in the smokehouse (Im going to use my pellet smoker) pull at 150 then waterbath (no SV bag) right into 170F water till IT gets to 158 and pull it they say it'll prevent from drying out the bologna. Would there be a big advantage to doing it this way versus finishing in the smokehouse to 158 or just pulling it at 152/153F. I looked at the pasteurization chart and really I can run it to 150 for about 5-10min and pull it.

I've also read people do SV or water bath first then cold smoke to finish wanted to see people opinions on thing they've tried and recommend.

Im planning on doing 43mm collagen casing for my bologna and I also have 70mm. I was curious if any has tried this : I have a few guys I work with that put their bologna in the smokehouse (Im going to use my pellet smoker) pull at 150 then waterbath (no SV bag) right into 170F water till IT gets to 158 and pull it they say it'll prevent from drying out the bologna. Would there be a big advantage to doing it this way versus finishing in the smokehouse to 158 or just pulling it at 152/153F. I looked at the pasteurization chart and really I can run it to 150 for about 5-10min and pull it.

I've also read people do SV or water bath first then cold smoke to finish wanted to see people opinions on thing they've tried and recommend.
I SV finish my 5” bologna and Krakowska but those are the only ones. All my other sausage such as ring bologna is finished in the smokehouse. 150-153* IT.

I would suggest SV bag, check out my earlier post. #49 down, I think the guys diagnosed my problem.

Edit: whoops sorry, I re-read your post. I was using fibrous casings where you are using collagen.

Last edited:
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Clicky