Ricks Hillbilly backwoods jerky

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

KBFlyer

Smoking Fanatic
Original poster
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Mar 7, 2018
Ontario Canada
Hillbilly backwoods jerky

5 lb meat strips
2 T non iodized salt (drop to 1 T if salt is a problem for you)
1 t cure 1
1 t curry powder
1 t cayenne
1 t black pepper
2 T onion powder
1 cup soy sauce (you can use low sodium)
1 cup worcestershire
3 cups cold distilled water.

Mix all together and marinate strip from12-24 hours. Smoke or dehydrate your normal way.

Low on jerky so today is smoke day around here.
Round roast cut by hand for jerky. Thicker then I usually do. Cured over night in the fridge.
3 hours into it and it will take at least 4 -5 more hours before being done. Beer is cold so no problem. 1f37a.png
Testing out my new jerky rack in my bradley smoker. BBQ squires laced into the rack with a coat hanger to hold up the middle so everything stays in place. Messy to set up but once its in the smoker it just works great. I found hanging jerky works way better then laying on the racks.
Will update later:
20221025_152022.jpg

Last edited:
6.7 hours into the smoke. Had smoke running for about 3 hours, what ever my tube smoker puts out which is about 3 hours. Flipped the rack 360 degrees as the elements are in the back of the smoker. Tested a thinner piece and it was pretty darn good. The thicker pieces still need a hour or so. Will go a full 8 hours before pulling. If need be the thicker slices can finish up in the dehydrator but so far so good.
20221025_182433Flip.jpg

Another fine batch of jerky. 8 hours in total. Very tasty.
Loving the homemade jerky rack for hanging the jerky. Worked perfectly.
20221025_190913.jpg
20221025_191540.jpg

Reactions: bauchjw
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky