Ribs???????????????????

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

buckscent

Smoke Blower
Original poster
Jul 6, 2010
B'ham Alabama
OK, I have had my butts and chickens down pat for a long time. I am now trying ribs, I did my first pork ribs yesterday and although they came out OK, they where burnt and dried  on the ends maybe about 3 ribs in on the ends.  I pulled the membrane and noticed a piece of meat, like a flap that came over the ribs qand that part got really black.  the middle of the bibs, although dark on the outside where very good tasing but not much to look at :).  I cooked 4 hours at 200 - 215  there was about a 20 minute span the smoker got to 350.  How do you keep the ends from burning? Do you wrap all the ribs? just the ends?  Also, do you cut that "Flap" out before cooking?   Thanks for all the help

Hi Buckscent,

It sound like you were to close to the heat, want kind of smoker?  I cook at 225 at 5 hrs.,  2.5 smoke, 2 in foil, and .5 with finishing sauce. I also spray with vinegar and apple juice, every half hrs while smoke. I also spray it down good before I put it in the foil before closing it up. I like to cut that flap off, and cook it for a side treat.

I think that that 20 minute span @ 350 probably contributed to the burning.

As for the flap, I cut it off. It helps the ribs cook more evenly with it gone. I prep & cook it along with the ribs, as it's usually done quicker & provides a snack to munch while the ribs are still cooking.

OK, I have had my butts and chickens down pat for a long time. I am now trying ribs, I did my first pork ribs yesterday and although they came out OK, they where burnt and dried  on the ends maybe about 3 ribs in on the ends.  I pulled the membrane and noticed a piece of meat, like a flap that came over the ribs qand that part got really black.  the middle of the bibs, although dark on the outside where very good tasing but not much to look at :).  I cooked 4 hours at 200 - 215  there was about a 20 minute span the smoker got to 350.  How do you keep the ends from burning? Do you wrap all the ribs? just the ends?  Also, do you cut that "Flap" out before cooking?   Thanks for all the help

The flap has gotta go for me. Like said above, its a good treat or a good filler for beans.

I am kinda with Ak on the 20 minutes at 350. I think that may have caused the burnt look but for only cooking 4 hours I would be more inclined to think maybe you had a slab with not quite as much meat on them. I don't go by the time rules, I just wait till they start to pull nice and then wrap um up with a good spritz or a dash of brown sugar. I do throw them back on at the tail end to stiffen them back up a little.

If I am doing a ton of ribs I do not wrap at all.

Good luck on the next round.

Hi Buckscent,

It sound like you were to close to the heat, want kind of smoker?  I cook at 225 at 5 hrs.,  2.5 smoke, 2 in foil, and .5 with finishing sauce. I also spray with vinegar and apple juice, every half hrs while smoke. I also spray it down good before I put it in the foil before closing it up. I like to cut that flap off, and cook it for a side treat.
i was on the very far end of the smoker. Totally on opposite ends of the fire box.

Last edited:
i was on the very far end of the smoker. Totally on opposite ends of the fire box.
Well then let's do it scientifically:

You said it was as far as it could be from the heat, so you can't move it any farther, without cooking outside of the box. We have many guys here who cook outside the box, but in a different way.

Then we have that naughty little 20 minutes of 350˚. That's definitely not a plus in smoking ribs "low & slow".

So go to that link I gave you in my first post. That is from the boss of this joint & it has a ten minute flick on there that is much better than most TV sitcoms nowadays. It also tells you in writing how to do ribs "3-2-1 method" with pictures.

Bear

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Clicky