Ribs wrap or unwrapped that is the question.

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
I'm in the no wrap group when I started there was no such thing as wrapping anything and I don't.

Warren

Wrapping has been around for a while, but without the internet, word spread in very small circles. Bill Milroy (Texas Rib Rangers) is one of the early rib wrappers in competition and he kept a secret for a good long while. And then there is Bessie Cathey that won the first Memphis In May competition in 1978, cooking on a horizontal drum in a parking lot. She was a wrapper too.

GPPKy.jpg

I don't wrap anything other than potatoes...

Only because I throw those directly on the coals.

I've eaten wrapped meats before.

They were pretty good.

It's all in your combined methods chosen during the process that suits your fancy...

Just in for the pics

I only smoke spare ribs now; unwrapped, light rub, no sugar, sauced. Light bite for me, FOTB for my wife, kids, company, pot luck, etc. I probe to tell when the meat is done.

Back when I roasted or smoked baby backs, I always wrapped, and used a lot of dark brown sugar. Probed through the wrap to tell when finished.

I don’t wrap anything. I cook ribs at 250 till done
Not even brisket? The only things I wrap are big chunks of meat if I'm in a hurry I'll even wrap butt's but not very often because it makes the meat a little mushy. I never wrap ribs unless I'm competing, and it kills me to wrap them then, but you pretty much have to in order to get the added flavor with the honey and butter or else you don't have a chance.

Wrapping has been around for a while, but without the internet, word spread in very small circles. Bill Milroy (Texas Rib Rangers) is one of the early rib wrappers in competition and he kept a secret for a good long while. And then there is Bessie Cathey that won the first Memphis In May competition in 1978, cooking on a horizontal drum in a parking lot. She was a wrapper too.

View attachment 506491

Makes you wonder is it all about traditional flavor or not. Just my $.02

Warren

Makes you wonder is it all about traditional flavor or not. Just my $.02

Warren
I think traditional flavor is what is traditional to you. I very rarely use sauce on my barbecue, but for many sauce is part of barbecue. Then there is competition barbecue, and that's a whole different game because there are some rules, and the food is judged/scored on flavor + tenderness with only one bite, then judges move on the next piece.

Reactions: forktender
If I am making one rack - wrap
Multiple - no wrap

I try to keep the philosophy of using the very least of unique ingredients, materials, and tools to get the job done. In this case, less foil. Less foil probably means no butter or sugar applied.

Reactions: tallbm
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky