Ribs with Coffee rub

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

dewetha

Smoking Fanatic
Original poster
Aug 21, 2011
Chicago - south Burbs
I'm an untrained culinary backyard BBQ type guy. so I don't always know what to make of some things. i read a few books,watch youtube and the cooking shows. also with some trial error on my inlaws. I find certain flavors i like together or on specific meats and leave it like that and move on to a new meat and flavors. Coffee is one those popular additives of late. I have see on cooking shows,eaten in restaurants,web sites etc.

I have used Coffee on red meat for a few years. a seared stake or burger is out of this world once in a while, still working it not my brisket rubs. most cowboy rubs have coffee. i like the "earthy" flavor a nice charcoal/fire cook piece of red meat takes on. i never really associated it with pork. i have flavors i put in that bucket and coffe was not one.

but I have seen  recipes, read a few blogs, received jeff's newsletter and have eaten coffee bean sauce on ribs at a restaurant so i figure since i'm tearing down and rebuilding all my rubs I might give it a shot. since I'm home alone today i figured what the heck.

1 slab of baby back ribs

1 mix of my rib rub with Coffee added

1 batch of my Jack Daniels sweet and tangy BBQ sauce.

1 Vision komodo grill with lump a few pecan chunks.

1 spritz of 50/50 apple cider/juice.

I cut the ribs in half. one rack will not have any sauce so i can do a comparison of the coffee's affects on ribs.

process:

1.Rub with a light coat of olive oil

2. apply rub. this time i added the brown sugar to the rub mix and ran it through a spice grinder and shaken up. hopefully this gets a nice even distribution of flavor. normally i coat with rub sans sugar and add sugar after wards.

3. let smoke for 3-4 hours spitz after 2hrs.

4. add coat of sauce to one ribs.

5. eat!

a warm up pic. results and more to follow:

as you can see the brown sugar really "melts" on the rib fast.

I have been using coffee in my rubs for pork for years. I love the flavor of it, especially on pork chops. I've never tried brining in coffee, like the recent newsletter, but that's on my list. You're ribs look great!

Having not been a coffee-rub guy, let me ask a dumb question. Do you use ground coffee, instant freeze-dry coffee, or brewed coffee? I can kinda see perks (uh I think I made a funny) to each ways.

Jim

Having not been a coffee-rub guy, let me ask a dumb question. Do you use ground coffee, instant freeze-dry coffee, or brewed coffee? I can kinda see perks (uh I think I made a funny) to each ways.

Jim
i use fresh group coffee. I find something like a dark roast type, bolder stuff if you will, better. it smells strong in the rub but that is aroma and doesn't translate directly to the finished product. so it takes some playing around to get the balance you want. 

Last edited:
a Little 2 hr teaser.

a quick check to see it it needs mopping. in my gasser that has a water pan I feel good letting it go 3hrs straight without mopping. but komodo is still a new toy for me so it seems 90 min range will be good to check up on it in the furuture

the smoker been running at about 250. already seeing pull back so they are cooking a little faster than my 225 times. might be done in 2 hrs or less.

before applying mop:

I was curious about these after seeing them in the newsletter. Like you, I've only had coffee-rubs on beef. I'll be interested to hear what you think. The color on them so far looks great!

so there not completely where i want them yet,  but i had to pull a bone off and do a taste test.

but just from from one Bone no sauce. It's A Winner!

maybe the best tasting rib i have had ever, without sauce. us yankees just can't let go of the sauce but this is just too good.

here they are back in the smoker with sauce on one half rack maybe 30 mins more.

finally done an eaten!

no sauce half rack:

the sauced one:

i;m still feeling out my komodo on times/temps myabe could have gone another 30. that just means i need to cook another rack and see :).

my new rub is pretty close to spot on. maybe a little tinkering but nothing Major. just a build up of heat that maybe too much for my young guests.

Windy City Rib Rub w/coffee
  • 1/2 Cup brown sugar
  • 2 TBS sea salt -fine
  • 2 tsp ground black pepper
  • 1/2 tsp white pepper
  • 1 tsp ancho chile
  • 1 tsp Chiplotle
  • 1 tsp cumin
  • 1/2 tsp cayenne 60k
  • 2 TBS Hungarian paprika
  • 2 tsp granulated garlic powder
  • 1/2 tsp ground clove
  • 2 tsp granulated onion powder
  • 1 TBS cocoa
  • 2 TBS ground expresso
JD rib glaze:
  • 1/2 cup turbinado sugar
  • 1/4 cup JD
  • 1/2 cup honey
  • 1/4 cup molasses
  • 1oz soy
  • 1 cup ketchup
  • 3 tbs worchestershire
  • 2 tbs apple Cider vinegar
  • 1/2 tsp cinnamon

drool.gif
 Looks GREAT. Thanks for sharing your rub.

Happy smoken.

David

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky