Ribs three ways with Q-view

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

worktogthr

Master of the Pit
Original poster
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Nov 3, 2013
Massapequa, NY (Long Island)
Ready to embark on a new adventure. First time smoking pork brisket bones, country style ribs (from my research on SMF I have learned that they are really just sliced pieces of bone in shoulder), and pre-sliced beef ribs.

plan to smoke them all 225-250 in my Masterbuilt deal fuel pro with propane and a mix of cherry and hickory.

Here are some pics

Hahah I got a little carried away with the pics.
On the pork brisket bones and the country style ribs I used a sweet and spicy rub recipe I got from some old cookbook that came with a crockpot... I'll find the recipe on here and post it! It really is great and even before I got my smoker and used to bake my ribs and then finish them on the grill people raved about the rub. I have smoked beef ribs before and had success with just some Montreal steak seasoning so I stuck with that.

Anyone have an idea on a cooking time for the brisket bones and the shoulder country style ribs? I was thinking about approaching them like spareribs (anywhere from 5-7 hours) but like I have read on here over and over...they are done when they're done. So I'll just keep an eye on them. Suggested internal temp for the country style? I'd like them to eat like ribs rather than pull like I have heard they can. Thanks in advance for your help! More pics to come!

the CSR's will be good at max of 180 degrees. if you go much higher you will get pulled pork.

The brisket flap i usually just smoke for dicing to use in beans. Never have measured temps.

Beef ribs were great and finished before everything else so we snacked on those and unfortunately have no pics.

CSRs were meaty and juicy and really tender: on for about 6 hours around 225:

Pork brisket bones were a little tough...not sure if I overlooked or undercooked them... Tough thing was hey all variied in size and shape so checking done ness was tough. I'll chop them up and repurpose hem for beans or maybe even chili.

2 out of 3 items were a success. Not a bad day.

Question about bark. Mine seems to always be really black? The rub has a lot of brown sugar. Is it burning causing that color? Doesn't taste burner or bitter at all and I had really good TBS while smoking.

Thanks! Interestingly enough they seemed more tender when I had them for lunch today. My dad loved them so I gave him the rest haha

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky