Ribs question, using cure#1, dry or brine and amounts

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
I would never say TQ & any other cure are similar.
Other than if I show you how to cure something like Ribs for 48 hours with TQ.
You can do the same thing with Cure #1, but you have to use the proper amounts of Cure #1 to do it, which is much different than the amount of TQ used.

I hate to even discuss the 2 together, because I'm telling you how to do what I did in my Step by Steps with TQ, because I've done it many times & it's always Outstanding, and others are giving you here-say of what others do with Cure #1.
IMHO--Brine curing with either cure will never be as good as Dry Curing with TQ, because it soaks in a mixture of mostly water for over a week.

Bear

Thanks Bear

I understand that Tenderquick is different then Cure#1 now. I have not seen TQ around here.
I have cured loins and pork belly, to make bacon, but there was no bones, so was not sure if I should compensate on the ribs for the bone weight

I guess what my big thing was when you did yours, you did it normal by weight, of the total, meat and bone.

I will do my math for the weight of the ribs, do the dry cure like before , in a bag in the fridge and turning often

Thanks Bear

David

I do enjoy bacon on a stick, and for the last 5 years or so... corning beef plate ribs and making 'pastrami on a stick' is very popular. I corn pork butts with ots of aromatics added to make porkstrami.... and I have been wanting to to this with some full spares using my pastrami rub. Maybe this is an option for one of your racks? Here are some porkstrami slices from a butt, this tastes way different from a ham.
GvzsuQf.jpg

Reactions: DRKsmoking
I do enjoy bacon on a stick, and for the last 5 years or so... corning beef plate ribs and making 'pastrami on a stick' is very popular. I corn pork butts with ots of aromatics added to make porkstrami.... and I have been wanting to to this with some full spares using my pastrami rub. Maybe this is an option for one of your racks? Here are some porkstrami slices from a butt, this tastes way different from a ham.
View attachment 517763

That does sound and look good also. I have a couple more packs in the freezer, and I might try that . But I will
try this first, as I now have a plan and putting it together tonight. To go in the fridge for a bit.

I love pastrami, so I will be trying that

Thanks

David

That does sound and look good also. I have a couple more packs in the freezer, and I might try that . But I will
try this first, as I now have a plan and putting it together tonight. To go in the fridge for a bit.

I love pastrami, so I will be trying that

Thanks

David
Here is my corning brine, it's mixed in a 1 gallon amount just like Pop's Brine, only with the addition of the aromatics which give it the 'corned' flavor. I'm playing around with using AmesPhos and injecting 10% by weight, but here is my base recipe.
~thirdeye's~ Corning Brine
112 ounces of water
16 ounces of beer
80g canning salt (Kosher is okay too)
30g white sugar
3 tablespoons pickling spice
1 tablespoon yellow mustard seeds
1 tablespoon brown mustard seeds
1 tablespoon coriander seeds
6 bay leaves
1 tablespoon Old Bay
1 tablespoon crushed garlic
1 tablespoon crushed ginger
1 tablespoon black pepper
1 teaspoon cloves
22g Cure #1 (note: this is added after the brine has cooled back down)

Mix everything except the Cure #1, and simmer for 1 hour. Try to avoid boiling. Allow to cool, then refrigerate overnight. Add the Cure #1 to the cold brine.

Reactions: DRKsmoking
I do adjust every ingredient for bone weight when curing ribs. Obviously it’s all approximate. Use your judgement.
I just realized there are perfect way to find out approximate meat/bone weight ratio. Next time you do bbq ribs just weight whole trimmed rack and weight all the bones after you eat it. Gives you average plus minus.
‘I use equilibrium cure calculator. Never failed me. 7 full days in wet cure.
One thing. Cured ribs are ok hot. But they are best after 24 hours in cold. With beer

I do adjust every ingredient for bone weight when curing ribs. Obviously it’s all approximate. Use your judgement.
I just realized there are perfect way to find out approximate meat/bone weight ratio. Next time you do bbq ribs just weight whole trimmed rack and weight all the bones after you eat it. Gives you average plus minus.
‘I use equilibrium cure calculator. Never failed me. 7 full days in wet cure.
One thing. Cured ribs are ok hot. But they are best after 24 hours in cold. With beer

Thanks for that

I know the weight going in to do the math with, so than I have to collect the bones , that won't get me strange looks , lol

I know it is probably a very little , but do not the bones get lighter when cooked, but like I said very small difference.

I just did the batch and posted it , and the next time I am doing pop's brine way.

So you do a whole 7 days, sounds good

I will not know from this batch what cold ones taste like as the vultures attacked as soon as i walked away after the pictures

David

Reactions: ahakohda
3 Freezers full and no ribs in them. Still waiting on a sale. They have pork butts cheap all they time but price of ribs pretty high. I did cured ribs one time and not sure what happened but did not care for them.

3 Freezers full and no ribs in them. Still waiting on a sale. They have pork butts cheap all they time but price of ribs pretty high. I did cured ribs one time and not sure what happened but did not care for them.

Mine came out pretty good, I just posted them last night, I will do again . Will do in Pop's brine just for a taste test to see which I like better
Other way around here ribs on sale more often than butts

David

Reactions: LOW_IN_SLO
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky