Ribs and 2-2-1

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

lookwow

Smoke Blower
Original poster
Jan 3, 2011
Menasha WI
This might sounds like a stupid quesiton but what do people mean when they say 2-2-1 or other variations of that when smoking ribs?

2-2-1 is for BB's and 3-2-1 is fore spares. 3 hours on the smoker, 2 hours wrapped in foil with a splash of apple juice added then back on the smoker, 1 hour on the the smoker with no foil to firm them up.

Last edited:
First number is the number of hours ribs are place in the smoker just flat on the racks.

Second number is number of hours ribs are cooked wrapped in foil (usually still in the smoker)

Third number is the number of hours ribs are cooked back on the racks out of the foil (to firm them up a bit). This is also when you would sauce the ribs if you are going to put sauce on them during the cooking process.

2-2-1 is generally used for baby back ribs, and 3-2-1 for spare ribs. If the ribs are to tender and fall apart you can cut back the 2nd number 15 minutes at a time till you get the consistancy you want.

It refers a sequence of actions.  2-2-1 is a recommended sequence for baby back ribs, 3-2-1 is a recommended sequence for spare ribs.

The first number (3 for spare ribs) is the number of hours one smokes the ribs for the first time.  Then, before you apply the second number, you remove the ribs from the smoker, put them in a single layer (or possibly a double layer) of aluminum foil, spritz with your favorite spritz <I use 1/2 bourbon 1/2 apple juice> unti damp, and seal up the foil wrap with the ribs inside.  Put the foiled ribs back in the smoker and maintain the same temperature for the second number of hours (2 for spare ribs).  Effectively this is a "braise" of the ribs inside the foil and helps to tenderize them.  Then, you remove the ribs from the foil and put them back in the smoker for the third number of hours (1 for spares).  This thrid period "tightens" everything back up.  I keep smoke going for the first and third periods of time.

icon_cool.gif

Well it looks like theother folks have covered the 2-2-1 or 3-2-1 method. Now I would recommend that you sign up and take the e-course. It's free and it will give you the basics on smoking meat and other things too.

No one mentioned temperatures! IIRC, these numbers relate to a smoker running about 225 or less. When I try 3-2-1 in my drum, I can't pick up my ribs! They fall apart completely.  Like Johnny said, use these numbers as a guide...Your Mileage May Vary...

So make allowances for different types of cookers, and for what your smoker likes to run at.

Makes for more experimenting!!

No one mentioned temperatures! IIRC, these numbers relate to a smoker running about 225 or less. When I try 3-2-1 in my drum, I can't pick up my ribs! They fall apart completely.  Like Johnny said, use these numbers as a guide...Your Mileage May Vary...

So make allowances for different types of cookers, and for what your smoker likes to run at.

Makes for more experimenting!!

You're right about the smoking temp, the 3-2-1 and 2-2-1 are based on smoker temps around 225°.This is the average smoking temp, unless you're doing poultry, which can be smoked at higher temps Points for you
points.gif

Last edited:
I actually do mine more like 1.5 - 1.5 - then 45 mins. over charcoal. the 2-2-1 method for babybacks is too long for my liking (225-250F). I don't want them falling off the bone, but nice and tender. I've got three racks on the MES as we speak! I'm using Paul's special rub, can't wait to see how that works out!

I was thinking the same thing, I'll try your method this weekend...... trying to decide between the Hard maple I have or the Ole stand bye, Hickory. I haven't tried Hard Maple yet.

Thanks,

The 2 2 1 method is the bomb. My buddy told me he smokes his ribs for 8-9 hours. I tried this method and they were moist, delicious and perfect. Thanks for the advice everyone
first.gif

Last edited:
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky