Rib Roast

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

beefmeister

Smoke Blower
Original poster
Mar 6, 2011
Dallas area
I have a SmokinTex eeelectric smoker. Makes awesome "prime rib".

Actually I make awesome prime rib. Been loving prime rib since I first ate it at Cattlemans Steak House in Dallas when I was probably eight or nine years old. Now I buy high choice or better, rub with oil and season it with Herbs de Provence, Lawrys Season Salt, Gran. Garlic, kosher salt, cracked black pepper and a touch of cayenne.slow cook to 118, let rest 30-45 minutes.
cd9ba58d_perfect.jpg

Great looking PR. I love my ST1400 and have done several PR in it. They always come out killer good.

Are you still using chunks in the ST? 

Scarbelly, not for prime rib. Basically I'm using the SmokinTex as an oven only. The seasoning of the SmokinTex itself imparts the slightest hint of smoke. I'm super picky about prime rib and don't want to "muck up" the the natural flavor of a good rib roast.

Wow - I am shocked 

This is a smoking forum and I thought you would like the addition of smoke to your meat,  The ST is not going to give you much flavor at all without chunks 

Let me know if I can help 

For roasts like that, I like to use 1 small piece of oak, from a red wine cask. You'd be amazed at the flavor you get from just a little smoke. But you don't want to over do it.

Last edited:
I love prime rib. It's most my favorite of all. I have traveled many a mile to many a restaurant and paid top dollar for it. And I've had some very good prime rib. But they don't have smoked prime rib. Once I smoked a prime rib I was ruined.   

Perhaps I'll try a small amount of wood on the next roast.

And I'll endeavor to submit some pics of my next chicken, brisket or ribs which definitely have chunks involved.

Wow - I am shocked 

This is a smoking forum and I thought you would like the addition of smoke to your meat,  The ST is not going to give you much flavor at all without chunks 

Let me know if I can help 
Actually Scarbelly I was trying to point out that I'm using the SmokinTex 1400 like a cook & hold commercial oven like this.

http://products.alto-shaam.com/c-1-cook-hold-ovens.aspx?locale=en-US

I do excellent BBQ but to me, a slow roasted prime rib served w/ fiery horseradish and a good jus is nirvana.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky