Rib rack question

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Big Grouch

Smoke Blower
Original poster
Mar 11, 2021
I have something coming up where I have to smoke lots of spare ribs. The racks that hold ribs in a verticle position, will I sacrifice any quality in the finished ribs to allow me to get more ribs done at once? Any opinions welcomed. Thank you.

Reactions: JLeonard
I have a rib rack for my WSM and I haven’t noticed any loss in “quality” and I can get more ribs on than without the rack…I have the 14.5 model.

You'll be fine, i would put the thicker side towards the top that will help to baste them and rotate them once in a while

Personally I have never used one, but as far as I know, no one who does has complained about the quality of the ribs. I like Jim’s idea of putting the thick part up too.
Al

I'd do a practice run... never have too many ribs!

Ryan

Rib racks work great, mine are not a true vertical which slows down natural juices or when I do a light mist.
t3q1kgx.jpg
Put the thick side up to avoid getting your ribs stuck in the racks. If you run out of slots on the racks, you can also lean a rack of ribs on either end.
DNnmvpf.jpg

I've also seen folks roll the ribs up and hold them together with a skewer to get more of them on their grate. That option would make glazing the ribs a bit tougher, but the benefit is more meat over the fire.

Chris

I've also seen folks roll the ribs up and hold them together with a skewer to get more of them on their grate. That option would make glazing the ribs a bit tougher, but the benefit is more meat over the fire.

Chris
I've done this on my WSM 18.5, the overlapped parts were less asthetically pleasing than the rest of the ribs. Yes, I'm a bit vain, but guests oohing and ahhing over a bunch of ribs is part of the fun.

Ribs cook in rib racks just fine.
The problem that arises is if you like sauced ribs. Then racks become a PITA unless you make the racks with lots of room between the ribs and then you lose capacity.

I have a rib rack for my WSM and I haven’t noticed any loss in “quality” and I can get more ribs on than without the rack…I have the 14.5 model.
Used the same smoker and rack for years. they Are as good as any rack laying flat. No difference

I agree... racks are just fine to use ...

for saucing you will just have to take a slab out, lay flat, sauce, put back in rack.. A pain, but doable... The thicker the sauce the better, won't drip off as bad ...

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky