Rib question

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

bosox20

Smoke Blower
Original poster
Jul 9, 2013
Pa
This might be a stupid question but..

Before I got a smoker I used to cook ribs in oven and I would wrap them in plastic wrap, then foil and they would turn out so tender. So my question is, after 2 hours of smoking what about wrapping in plastic wrap then foil and back in smoker?? Would that work and give a more tender rib?

I do that too. But I'm asking about plastic wrap inside the foil wrap ?

1)     Personally, I wouldn't use plastic wrap in a hot environment.  Who knows what chemicals are being released from that stuff.  Maybe I'm way off on that.

2)     About ribs being tender, typically, what "tender" is, is a persons opinion.  I prefer a little tug on my ribs, but that doesn't mean they not tender, they are.  The meat pulls clean off the bone.  I don't foil, ever.  I place them in the smoker, let them go for 4 hours and take a peek at that point.  When their done, their done.  No nonsense, no BS, just good, smoky ribs.  I feel that foiling makes them mushy, just like some restaurant chains ribs.........fall-off-the-bone, soupy and mushy, at least up here in Wisconsin.  I've learned to refrain from getting restaurant ribs because I am usually disappointed with them.  Sorry, I wandered of topic there.

Hi BCB,

I agree with Scooter's first point, I would not use plastic wrap for fear of what might be released in the cook process.

I also agree that you can get good tender ribs without foiling; however, I do foil and never have I experienced mushy ribs.  With babybacks I use a modified 2-2-1 going 2 hours in the smoke 1.5 in the foil and 1.5 back in the smoke.  Good tender ribs that have a tug and are never mushy.

Good luck,

Bill

Yeah I wouldn't use plastic wrap. I have a friend that uses oven bags in the smoker often. This works great and is made for hot environment.

Bosox, you probably could use plastic wrap, but there really is no need to for ribs.   IF you want to steam/braise, just wrap in foil.

Got it. Thanks guys. Just an idea I would float out there. Making ribs again Sunday. Can't wait [emoji]128540[/emoji]

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky