Rib eye (on the bone)

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

power

Fire Starter
Original poster
Aug 28, 2013
Semaphore South Australia
Hi I brought a 1.6kg bib eye (2 bones) roast to cook in the wsm on sunday? but the wife has cut them into 2 large steaks 800g each!

Can I or should I still cook these in the wsm or just cook them on the weber 320Q?

if I was to cook them in the wsm, should I try to tie them together or just cook as singles! and how long would I cook them for now?

cheers

I don't think putting it back together would do much good.  Make lemonade!  You have a fantastic cut of meat to prepare!

You could sear them then cook to desired internal temp.  It can be done on either machine really.  I like to sear my steaks in a rocket hot cast iron skillet, then slide to the cool side (or indirect on the smoker) until internal temp reaches 130*F.  You should go until your internal temp reaches your desired level of doneness.

Some folks like to "sear in the rear" or "reverse sear"  where they cook the steak very slowly indirect until several degrees less than desired internal temp, remove it from the grill and let it cool a few minutes, then sear it over a volcano hot fire, or rocket hot cast iron skillet.

For a Cowboy Ribeye, I like to get things pretty hot so really it doesn't take very long at all depending on thickness.  I did some 1.5" thick Ribeyes the other day and I think it was about 10 minutes tops.

Last edited:
I gotta agree with Bama, It's a little late to make it into a small Prime Rib, so treat it like 2 beautiful Ribeyes this time (either method Bama mentioned).

Next time it might be a good idea to take the knife away from the Missus!!
icon_mrgreen.gif

Bear

Well here they are! should call them BAD BOYS!!!!

will post back when cooking!!! still wish they were left as a whole!!!

Last edited:
I did end up cooking on the WSM! for 3half hours!

Only problem was they were a bit too Smokey! its the 6th time I have cooked on the WSM! I have read that don't put the lid on till all the white smoke has gone, but I waited 20mins and it was still smoking a LOT!!! I also used a large chunk of Hickory (dry)! any help cheers

The steaks look fantastic.  It's a shame they were too smoky.  I call that the ashtray effect.  ...and I avoid it thru technique.

You can assemble the cooker, but I wouldn't put food on it till it's burning clean.  I recommend to get a clean burning fire, start your charcoal in a chimney or place a starter cube in the charcoal pile.  Once the chimney is volcano fire shooting out the top lit, pour it onto the unlit charcoal and spread it around.  When the unlit charcoal gets warm from the lit (from the chimney or the starter cube), it will stop producing "nasty" smoke.  In fact, it should burn very clean with no visible smoke at all -- just heat waves coming out the top vent.  Once there is no visible smoke or at least very little, add your food and smoke wood.  All the smoke you see should be produced by your smoke wood.

If one piece of hickory was too smoky, try a milder smoke wood.  Cherry, apple, peach, etc are very mild and impart a pleasant flavor IMHO.  Or try no smoke wood at all.  Remember, just because you can't see smoke doesn't mean you are not getting a wonderful smoky flavor on your food. I like one chunk for short cooks and basically never use more than three (one at a time -- every hour) for even the longest cooks ...but again, that's just me.  I think of smoke wood as a spice and I don't want to overpower my food with any one spice.  Oak, Hickory, and Mesquite are much stronger IMHO. I use Oak for Beef Brisket, Tri Tips, and Chuck Roasts.

HTH

<<<<  Disclaimer: I am fanatical that I have a clean burning fire.  Some folks don't wait at all and put their food on a smoky cooker.  YMMV.  >>>>

Last edited:
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.
Clicky