RF Build In Slow Motion (Sinks are done!)

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Joe, have you ever cut the slots closer than 1 1/2" apart?

Yes..... but when you cut the slots closer you weaken the pipe and it will deteriorate quicker. If you make them farther apart the flame will not transfer from slot to slot unless you place a cover over the burner to disburse the gas..... also when you place a cover over the burner it slows the oxygen flow and makes it easier for the flame to blow out at low settings...... it is important to have good oxygen flow around the burner in windy conditions..............

4da0cffb_zDougKarstTRAILER.jpg

Joel, do you have a way to adjust airflow in the venture? That burner would make a great charcoal starter in that "grill" we are going to build. I got the go ahead Monday, long time coming.

Oh by the way, here is that tandem trailer I told you about. Well, that's what he said it was, after getting this pic I was very happy to see what he is giving us. Some of that Indiana rusty gold. With just the grill going on this, there is a lot of steel we can use here when we re-size this trailer. Thanks for all your help Joel.

Actually, we do. We will be putting a sliding cover over the venturi to control airflow.

Congrats Mike! You are doing a good thing.

Here we go again dammit... This is the way my pipe burner build went to the shitter the last time I posted it on another forum.... everyone wanting to add what needs to be done... there is no reason to deviate from the instructions.. The burner will burn blue the way it is.... I give up........ I'm done with this.......DO WHAT YOU WILL..........

Joe

It definitely burns blue as it is Joe. However, we have been doing some experimenting with it and have noted some interesting results. It is not an issue of you being wrong so much as an experiment in combustion. More to come ...

With your three levels of grates, what would you smoke to feed that largest number of people? I am only familiar with slow roasting, so you would need to have whatever you are going to smoke, all on at the same time, correct? Say doing chicken halves, even with that monster you built, could you do more than 600 halves at a time? I was just trying to compare it with the 250 grill, with two levels, I think we should be able to do 160 halves. I'm afraid I'll be holding my breath about that second level on our first roast.

Didn't mean to set Joe off.

Butts for pulled pork. And they would be packed in there tight with nothing else. If it were brisket or chicken quarters, we could not feed that number of people.

Solar - Awesome job, and again, thanks for the documentation. One question. It looks like your door to the firebox is simply cut from the plate and hinged and a latch? Did you do anything inside to seal it or just leave it like that?

Originally we were going to seal it but it has worked just fine as it is. We might revisit that down the road when and if we decide to do some finishing touches.

Should I adjust the numbers from the "smoker ratio calculators" for a reverse flow pit?  I heard increase the numbers by 10%.  What do yall think?

thanks

Scott

I stuck with the calculator numbers and I wouldn't change a thing. The smoker works great. I think PatriotBBQ has a RF specific calculator as he has mentioned it before.

ok thanks.  i looked for it but couldnt find it.  unless anyone can share the link i think i will stick with the standard calculations.  One other question, I've heard people say to start the smoke stack a few inches above the cooking surface.  If I do this and I need 55" of exaust, is it 55" total or 55" outside of the pit?  Has anyone else done this?  I guess it is to keep the smoker full of smoke?

scott

ok thanks.  i looked for it but couldnt find it.  unless anyone can share the link i think i will stick with the standard calculations.  One other question, I've heard people say to start the smoke stack a few inches above the cooking surface.  If I do this and I need 55" of exaust, is it 55" total or 55" outside of the pit?  Has anyone else done this?  I guess it is to keep the smoker full of smoke?

scott
It is from the outside of the smoker. My chimney sits flush with the top of the smoke/cook chamber and I haven't found a reason to change that. My old offset (before I converted it to a RF) I extended the chimney to grate level.

Last edited:
Time for a few updates on the big smoker!

New to me used industrial sink I picked up from work for.... FREE!! This will get mounted up in a few weeks, got to get the grill ready for Thursday! We think this will work better than the original 3 basin sink. We can set cutting boards into it for a work surface
adb60b6b_IMAG0453.jpg

It will be mounted over the right fenders.

Last edited:
Here's a grill were building for the rig from a 55 gallon drum.
IMAG0458.jpg

Without the grill grate, the frame that supports the grill just sits in place. The inverted V shape angle will support a metal plate to help dispers the heat front to back. Got to pick it tomorrow from the metal shop, they will put a bend in it to match the V. Probably 12 ga thickness.
IMAG0455.jpg

Here's the propane orafice in the iron cap, with 4, 1/4" holes, based on Joe's (boykjo) design.
IMAG0456.jpg

Here's the cap in place, I've cut the burner pipe at a 45 deg rotated it 180 deg and rewelded so it points straight down. The flange holds it in place and I have a single bolt in the other side of the smoker holding the other end of the burner.
IMAG0457.jpg

This is it all closed up. Yes, slight alignment issue with the lid. Something went wonky during construction. Very disappointed in it. Hope to get it straightened out.
IMAG0459.jpg

Back side so you can see supports and hinge, just a 1/4" steel rod.
IMAG0460.jpg

Bottom side showing supports and mounting base. Mount is still not complete. After the drum was cut in half it was very flimsy. This frame has stiffened it back up.
IMAG0461.jpg

Hard to see, but I have blue flame!
IMAG0439.jpg

Ran it the other night, for 30 minutes with the grate in it. Set a chunk of metal in the middle and cranked up the gas. Exterior surface temp at the top was 450. Directly under the burner it was 240. When I turned it off and opened it up the hunk of metal was 605! The burner was a dark red which I think is around 800. So far it's preformed really well, need to clean it out and throw some meat on it and see how she does!

This will mount in front of the smoker and slide out... Stay tuned!!!

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky