Reverse searing

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

cansmoke

Smoking Fanatic
Original poster
Jul 21, 2012
Hamilton, Ontario
I want to try and reverse searing some steaks. If I understand correctly, I cook them indirect and then flip over onto direct to get the outside seared.

Any tips?

I am not an expert but do love reverse seared steaks. On my old MES30 I would smoke at 225 degrees until an internal temp of 100 degrees, rest for twenty minutes, then sear them on my gas grill at 500 degrees until I got the internal temp I want. With my Masterbuilt 560 I follow the same recipe except I can crank the temp up to 600-700 degrees on the MB560 and sear. Reverse seared steaks on the MB560 are a lot better tasting and easier to cook than the ones I used to make on my MES30.

I set up charcoal grill for indirect cooking. Put a chuck of wood on coals and put steak on indirect until about 117 degrees for me. Throw some wood chips on coals to get small fire than sear steak. About a minute a side than rest. Steak will end up about 125 degrees.

I was given a Searzall for Christmas. I find that it does a much better job of searing than a cast iron pan. My old Weber Genesis gas grill only gets to about 580° F, which isn't hot enough to provide a really good crust.

The only downside is that it takes about a minute or two to do both sides and the edges so if you had to do ten steaks for company it would be a little bit of a chore. However, for two of us, it's perfect.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky