Reverse Sear Tri Tip

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

mcokevin

Smoking Fanatic
Original poster
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Oct 18, 2016
Orlando FL
Been wanting to try a tri tip for a while, and got one at Wild Fork for cooking this weekend. Basic rub, salt and pepper with a mustard binder. Going for a thick pepper crust.

The plan was to smoke it at 225 until it hit around 100, then sear until 125 ish, then rest and let it coast up to 130-135. It got to 100 a lot faster than expected, and since we were relaxing and having some beers I was unprepared for that, so called a bit of an audible. Let it go to 110, then pulled it off and wrapped in foil. This bought us enough time to get our shit together. Unfortunately it coasted to about 120 in foil, so I didn't get quite the sear on it that I wanted. But it still came out damned good. Lesson for next time is to assume it'll take under an hour to get to 100, I was thinking 90 minutes this time. Also need to get better at plating and getting that cheese melted and served hot.

Served on ciabatta with sauteed onions, horseradish, and muenster cheese. My wife ate so much she feels like puking (and she is not a big gal), so that's a hell of a compliment! lol

On the smoker, with random asian chicken up top.

IMG_0779.jpeg

On to sear at 500. Adjusted the smoker configuration with the chicken done. Removed the middle shelf and put the top shelf in for toasting the buns

IMG_0783.jpeg

Off the sear
IMG_0784.jpeg

Sliced - not bad for the first tri tip I've ever done.
IMG_0785.jpeg

Sandwiches
IMG_0786.jpeg

Looks good. I learned once a tri tip hits around 90* the temp sky rocket’s

Looks great! I have had the same thing with Tri-Tips, you got to watch them like a tenderloin!

- Jason

No kidding - glad I had a probe in it and wasn't cooking to time, and glad I at least have enough smokes under my belt to not panic when something doesn't quite go to plan. Done too soon? No problem, wrap it in foil and it'll hold heat just fine. Coasted up a little further than I would like, but I don't think it really mattered in the end. It was delicious.

Yes, looks awesome, I need to do another one real soon, thanks for the reminder.

Looks very good, nice job!!

Looks great and bet it won't be the last !
Fine looking sammich my friend!

Keith
Thank you gents!! 1.5lb of leftovers, more sandwiches tonight!

Man...it may have gotten away from you a bit (as did a tenderloin roast I did a while back) but that was a great recovery. One super tasty looking chunk of meat right there. Very well done from my perspective.

Robert

Didn't know you could get tri-tip in the east now. Never saw it before I moved to CA. I use Pappy's blue label on mine and smoke them to about 130 and pull them. I don't bother with any searing or torching because I don't want to burn the seasoning.

If I am doing a big batch, I will break out my deli slicer to get super thin slices for making sandwiches. You have to be careful with slicing the tritip across the grain because the grain direction sort of changes in the middle of it. It really makes a difference on tritip to slice it correctly.

Man...it may have gotten away from you a bit (as did a tenderloin roast I did a while back) but that was a great recovery. One super tasty looking chunk of meat right there. Very well done from my perspective.

Robert

Thanks - I appreciate it. I am quite happy with calling an audible and still getting a delicious result.

Didn't know you could get tri-tip in the east now. Never saw it before I moved to CA. I use Pappy's blue label on mine and smoke them to about 130 and pull them. I don't bother with any searing or torching because I don't want to burn the seasoning.

If I am doing a big batch, I will break out my deli slicer to get super thin slices for making sandwiches. You have to be careful with slicing the tritip across the grain because the grain direction sort of changes in the middle of it. It really makes a difference on tritip to slice it correctly.
I was thinking as I was cutting that a deli slicer would be just the ticket!

It doesn’t get much better than that!
It looks perfectly done to me!
Al

Perfect . Nice work bud .

Looks great.

Thanks gents! And my first roll on the slider to boot.

It looks delicious! Your first but I'm sure not your last one! Congrats on the spinner ride as well!

Ryan

Thanks - I appreciate it. I am quite happy with calling an audible and still getting a delicious result.

I was thinking as I was cutting that a deli slicer would be just the ticket!

Thanks gents! And my first roll on the slider to boot.
Great job. Only comment would be it looks like you cut somewhat with the grain, generally I try to cut across the grain.

Great job. Only comment would be it looks like you cut somewhat with the grain, generally I try to cut across the grain.

I was thinking the same....looks good though.

Rick
Definitely made the mistake of not looking at which way the grain was running before I rubbed it. This first cut wasn’t perfect - I was trying to cut the two directions of the grain to slice against it. I did cut against it pretty much every cut after this one. Thankfully didn’t adversely impact the meat, still super tender!

Reactions: Cody_Mack
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky