Reverse flow plate thickness

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

pabeef

Smoke Blower
Original poster
Oct 24, 2016
Milltown WI,
Hey everyone I'm in the process of gatherings part/supplies for a new reverse flow rig.
So far I have a 200 gallon air tank in the yard. Now looking at steel for the fire box and reverse flow plate. I have an opertuity to get some 3/8 steel plate
Planing the 3/8 for the fire box. My question is would 3/8 be to to thick for the reverse plate?
Thanks for the help
PABEEF

I've never built a smoker, but 3/8" thick reverse plates seem excessively thick. Seems to me all you need is something like 12 ga., about 1/8" thick. If you plan to move the smoker around, think of the weight it would be.

Thanks for the quick response Dave. It will be trailer mounted I'm to old to be putting a smoker in the back of the truck anymore. I figure 3/8 is over kill but wondering if the thermal mass is worth it's weight. There's a bunch of 3/8 plate on a online auction that is reasonable right now it's less than 1/4 inch at the metal shop.
PABEEF

Well if the 3/8 is cheaper than the 1/4 I'd say why not? It'll be a little better of a heat sync, probably not much but I'm definitely not an expert.

If you have the capability to form and handle the 3/8” plate (a bit over 15 lbs/ft2 vs 10+ change lbs/ft2 for 1/4”)....go for it. As you mentioned, the added mass will provide cc temp stability and faster recovery.

3/8" will certainly be a hefty thermal mass, but it might take a long time to come up to temp. On the other hand, it'll take a long time to cool. But how much heat will the plate provide with respect to the heat from the fire? I think it's a bit of overkill.

Well i bought the 3/8 plate for $.20 a pound so it was a good deal. I plan to use it for the fire box and am thinking I will go with 1/4" for the reverse flow plate from the suggestion on here .So now I should have enough extra for another fire box. If I can find another tank i might put a second smoker on the trailer. I will have to run that up the flag pole to see what my loving wife thinks. I may need to hunker down behind one of the 3/8 " chunks for my safety.
Thanks for the input
PABEEF

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky