Reverse flow plate help needed

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

apachepunchbbq

Original poster
Jun 27, 2017
Hi all,

I am restoring a reverse flow pit with a joining smoking box. The pit itself is a 250 gallon propane tank.

The plate on it had been rusted through in many places and will require replacing.

What kind of tips could I get from you fine people on thickness of metal, shape of plate, pre-treating the plate, or anything that could make the reverse flow plate the best that it can be?

Thank you all.

If the reverse flow plate is in question I would use 1/4". Once replaced just rinse out any welding residue and build a fire in the firebox to dry her our. The new plate can be seasoned once dry with a light coat of Pam spray.

Last edited:
Reactions: apachepunchbbq
If $ is no object or you can get 1/4" for free, that is the way to go.

However, I tried something on my new build this year that has been working great.  I used castable refractory cement (the stuff that they make pizza ovens out of) on top of a sheet of 1/8" steel I got for free.  It has been working great, I get significant heat retention.  When I open the door to tend the meat it takes less than a minute to get the chamber back to temp in most cases. 

You could patch the holes and put a layer down (I have a 1.75" thick base).  My plate is around 42" x 27" wide and I used a little more than a bag and a half of the mix.  I think I paid about $35-40 per bag.  I'm not sure what the minimum thickness is but you could most likely put down a little less than a one inch pad using a single bag.

Just another idea, good luck on your restoration...

Reactions: nunk
That's great. I used regular 5000psi concrete on mine about 2" thick and the heat retention is amazing. I welded 1/2" rebar throughout before pouring to hold in place while bouncing down the road

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky