Reverse flow exhaust baffle?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

yieldmap

Original poster
Mar 10, 2018
Hey all,
I've been smoking on an electric, and pellet grill for a few months and decided to jump into the stickburner world. I picked up a used custom build trailer unit from a friend. 120 gal CC, 24" cube firebox. Seems to be a nice unit.

While firing it up for the first time, it seemed difficult to reach temp's. I also noticed that the CC was always jam-packed with smoke when I opened it up to inspect. I'm wondering if the exhaust baffle plate is too low under the exhaust stack. I've looked around the site and seen some with plates, and some without. Take a look at the pics. Is there a spec for the drop on an exhaust baffle?

Thanks in advance!

Attachments

• IMG_0327.JPG
    IMG_0327.JPG
    112.3 KB · Views: 139
  • IMG_0329.JPG
    IMG_0329.JPG
    154.6 KB · Views: 148
Seems odd and low.

Can you post all your sizes? Maybe some of the boys can see another flow issue you could improve?
Cc size
Fb is 12,977 assuming 1/4 wall
Fb-cc size?
End of RF plate opening
Stack size?

Where does the exhaust enter the Cook Chamber ??? If that's a damper in the exhaust stack, jerk it out.....

Thanks for the replies all, I'm wondering if the exhaust baffle is causing the extra smoke, and the lower airflow. Here's all the dimensions of the airflow path. What's your thoughts after looking at the numbers?

Thx

Attachments

• Slide1.jpeg
    Slide1.jpeg
    31.2 KB · Views: 127
Actual dimensions of the CC and I could give you some good numbers...

View attachment 357216
Sorry, I forgot! The propane tank is 24" in diameter and about 67" long. The straight sided cylinder is 57" long, which leaves about 5" of crown on each end. Of course, part of the CC is taken up by the firebox, which sticks in about 6" from the end, and up 6" from the floor. The reverse flow plate is about 6.5" up from the floor as well, but I believe that's still considered part of the CC?

Thanks.

Actual dimensions of the CC and I could give you some good numbers...

View attachment 357216
Quick question....what does the upper air vent do for me in the firebox? I was considering a guru setup, would I still need the upper air vent at that point?

I agree with the removal of the baffle. Is there any reason to keep any part of it....3" or so to keep heat in? If not, I'll likely torch out all but the bit in the center for the bacon rack support.

Thanks.

The upper air inlet to the FB has proven to be a good addition... It allows for cold air to enter and move heated air to the CC.. burning creosote in the FB... also, it adds extra air flow through the CC for temperatures that are more even across the food grate.. It reduces fuel usage by moving the extra heat in the FB to the CC... Think of it as the fan on your home furnace... You have the heat generator and the air mover.. The upper inlet is the air mover... it allows for fine tuning of the heat generated by the lower air inlet...

The FB/CC opening should be about 110 sq. in. for optimum air flow.. the rest of the numbers are "OK"... The RF plate should be about 7" above the bottom of the CC ... but... 6.5" is close enough...

6" exhaust stack is good.. It would be better if it was 35" or so above the CC... not a big deal..

If you make the above modifications, you won't need the Guru... "once you learn how to operate the smoker"...

The small "ish" opening of the FB/CC... Will cause the FB to overheat consuming excess fuel, and not allow for enough air flow through the CC..
These smokers are a natural draft system... Constriction points that effect the air flow really screw up the natural draft..

Thanks for the feedback on the airflow calc's. I'll open up the Firebox/CC opening...the current bottom is flat, and needs to be cut to the lower CC curve for easier cleanout anyway! I'll also zip out the exhaust baffle. I may give it a test burn and see how the fire and smoke behave. I also like the idea of that upper airflow vent in the Firebox, maybe a slider or a circular vent.

Definitely worth a shot before buying a guru. My hope with the guru was to be able to load up the firebox a bit more, and get some sleep! But I certainly understand the idea behind fixing the base airflow problems before I start adding on electronics and widgets.

Thanks again.

Got back from Spring Break with the fam, and had a chance to update the Angry Pig. I thought "first things first" and removed most of the baffle plate. I left a bit to hold the bacon rail, but most of it is gone. Huge difference in airflow. No more choking and white smoke, just clean burning exhaust.

I also learned a bit about fire management, and intake air. I used the bottom vents to control temp, but left the door open a crack to allow fresh air to mix and flow through. This seemed to help keep the air moving, and much cleaner smoke.

As for fuel usage, I'm not sure what to expect, but it seems like I am adding a log split every 30-45 minutes to maintain 275. I'm afraid to load it up more, not wanting too much heat or smoke. Is this fuel add about what I should expect?

Thanks all. It was a great day learning, with some awesome ribs as a reward. Truly the best ribs I've ever made....and not just because they were my first....
IMG_0429.JPG
IMG_0434.JPG

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky