Reverse flow CC when loaded up, how much is to much.

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

AlbertaEgger

Original poster
So at risk of sounding stupid I’m going to ask this anyways. I am starting a reverse smoker build, not common up here at all. I have no experience in using one so far, but have lots of experience on eggs. My question is I know the air flow for all areas play a big role in a reverse smoker build as well as all smokers, my concern now is with it loaded up with meat. I am building a 24’ x 72” and will have double shelves 5 ½” apart. If I have these loaded up with butts am I going to severely restrict the air flow in the cooking chamber? How much is too much? Might be a pretty open ended question. On a side note does anyone have any pictures of two tiered 24’ cookers loaded up to the max?

Thanks in advance, happy Friday everyone.

I dont really know the technical answer of how it restricts the air flow but here is mine loaded with 17 pork butts. It's all it could handle and I had no problem holding temperature even with all this meat on there. It was a concern of mine originally but not anymore.

Attachments

• Snapchat-168667379.jpg
    Snapchat-168667379.jpg
    31.2 KB · Views: 54
As long as your smoker is built to proper dimensions and you have some good air space between your butts you should be ok.
But also keep in mind that it takes time to warm all that cold mass up.
How many pork butts are you expecting this smoker to hold? And how often are you planning on loading it up?

Edit:You have 24' is the diameter 24"?

Last edited:
hardcookin gave the same response I would. Having adequate space between the cuts will allow the cooker air to move also you will see a significant drop in temp for some time because of the cold meat so plan your heavy meat cooks accordingly. If you stack the meat in the cooker with no room to breathe the cooker will suffer from lack of air flow I try to keep 1.5" to 2" between my cuts.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky