resting a standing prime rib roast

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

RTW

Original poster
Oct 19, 2022
I am cooking both a standing prime rib roast and lobster tails on my recteq pellet grill for Christmas dinner. My question is; How long can I rest the prime rib roast in a cooler without wrecking it while I smoke the lobster tails, which should take approximately 45 minutes to an hour?

Reactions: KimberlyO
Welcome to the forum, RTW, glad you joined us.
Assuming you will smoke at 250* to an IT of 125*, that roast will be fine in the cooler for an hour. Should still be warm enough to serve.
Again, welcome

I'm not sure I'd put a rib roast in the cooler. Unlike other meats like brisket or pork butt, you want this one to stay med-rare. I think putting it in a cooler would continue the cooking process, and you'd end up with an overdone roast.
I'd cover loosely in foil for maybe 20 minutes.

I think we really need more details to answer this accurately. You failed to tell us what temp you cooked it and what IT temp you want to pull it.

Welcome to the forum!

Reactions: TNJAKE
May be a dumb question, but I'm known for those. Why are you smoking the lobster tails?

Chris

I'd do the tails in a way similar to these. They turn out tender and juicy

I'd do the tails in a way similar to these. They turn out tender and juicy

I can recall that cook Jake, as fine a piece of work as I've ever seen! RAY

Reactions: TNJAKE
Have you heard of a lobster method called "Dwell In The Shell"?
dP4jLd7.jpg
If not, here are the details, and trust me on this... you can improvise all you want because this is more of a technique than a recipe.
Dwell in the Shell
"elegant, yet pleasingly casual"
Ingredients:
4 Huge Lobster Tails
1 bit Peanut Oil
1-2 each Limes
Garlic Powder
1 Touch Lawry's Seasoning Salt
(Optional) New Mexican Green Chili Powder
Butter
Minced Garlic

Preparation:
1 Picked up 4 huge lobster tails. Thought at first, 1 pound tails for each of us would be ok. Naaaaahhhh - if two tails would be good, 4 tails for the two of us would be better, right ?
2 Get your shears and cut the clear membrane off the belly of the tail, getting rid of the tiny feet, exposing the meat.
3 Rinse them good, dry them with paper towel and place them shell side up on a cutting board. Take a heavy knife or cleaver, place it lengthwise (parallel) in the center of the shell and tap the back of the blade into the shell, cracking it ever so slightly. This is so our tail will lay flat on the grill. Do not take meat out of the shell !
4 Now flip them over, belly side up. Take a bit of oil ( I used peanut )and pour a small amount on your fingers, and lightly rub the meat. Don't use much at all, barely a drizzle.
5 Grab a lime or two and squeeze juice and pulp all over the meat, liberally.
6 Then shake on garlic powder and a touch of Lawry's seasoning salt.
7 I then have to throw my favorite ingredient of all time, which goes on everything I cook, New Mexican green chili powder. Don't worry if you don't have this, it's hard to find, and your lobsters will still be far and above any lobster you ever had before.
8 Place covered tails in fridge for an hour or so to marinade while your gettin' your cooker ready.
9 Get a good hot bed of lump going and preheat your cooker to 400 - 450 degrees. As all of you know, when it comes to seafood and a good hot fire, you must move swiftly because every minute counts.
10 Place tails, meat side down on the grill and press them flat. This is why we weakened the shells earlier with the tapping cleaver.
11 Set your metal cup on the grill also with butter and minced garlic so it will melt and sauté' the garlic. Close the lid. If you don't have a metal cup to use on the grill while you're cookin', get one !
12 Open the cooker after 5 minutes and with a leather glove, carefully turn tails over onto their shells so meat is facing up towards the sky.
13 Take your cup (grab it with a leather glove please) with the butter and garlic, and spoon sautéed mixture onto the lobster tails. The tails will form a slight cupped shape which will hold most of the butter in place, but your fire will rage for a minute, and that is great.
14 Close the lid down and slowly begin to close top and bottom drafts so they can "Dwell in the Shell" for 5 more minutes. Remember - with a good hot fire, 5 minutes per side, that's it. With 50 dollars worth of lobster on the grill, you definitely want to pay attention. I don't recommend holding any conversations with your company while you're fixin' this supper. Tell your family and friends that you'll socialize again after this crucial 10 minutes is over. Once everyone tastes what you've agonized and sweated over for 10 minutes, no more explanations will be necessary. Simply, Heaven on Earth !
15 Serve with long grain and wild rice, corn on the cobs, asparagus, salad, just about anything. Even though we had melted butter to dip the lobster in, it wasn't really necessary. It was so good that we're doing it again for the family tomorrow night. They'll be surprised when they get beef tenderloin steaks and lobster tails out of their brisket and pulled pork ......Houndog.
16 I'm not that good a cook, but these tails are truly world class. Give 'em a try.

Servings: 2
Recipe Source
Author: Submitted by Houndog

I am cooking both a standing prime rib roast and lobster tails on my recteq pellet grill for Christmas dinner. My question is; How long can I rest the prime rib roast in a cooler without wrecking it while I smoke the lobster tails, which should take approximately 45 minutes to an hour?
If ya want med rare, pull it at 120 and seat it until your lobster is done, right on the counter for up to 1 hr. 15 min before the lobster is ready blast it into a preheated oven at 500 for 12 min

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky