Release the smoke

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Markl

Fire Starter
Original poster
SMF Premier Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Sep 1, 2020
Minnesota
Picked up a used MES cheap and added the Mailbox Mod. Got 10lbs of pork belly curing and can't wait to smoke it in this rig! Its first dry run today.
20221112_152718.jpg

Picked up a used MES cheap and added the Mailbox Mod. Got 10lbs of pork belly curing and can't wait to smoke it in this rig! Its first dry run today.
View attachment 648455
Hi there and welcome!

A cheap or free MES is the best to score. I like them and doing the simple rewire and slapping a PID controller on them.

Makes them better than a $800+ smoker and they hold dead on to whatever temp I set.

I'm looking forward to seeing your bacon! :)

Reactions: zwiller and Markl
Nice set up! I know you stated that this is the burn in. But watch the smoke when you start to use it. It looks a bit dirty.

Reactions: Markl
Nice set up! I know you stated that this is the burn in. But watch the smoke when you start to use it. It looks a bit dirty.
Yeah, I took the pic pretty much after I lit it. It cleaned up alot about 10 minutes later. So will want to make sure its burning well before adding pork belly

Reactions: tallbm and Steve H
Yeah, I took the pic pretty much after I lit it. It cleaned up alot about 10 minutes later. So will want to make sure its burning well before adding pork belly
I figured that was the case. Looking forward to seeing the bacon. I have a 8-pound slab of belly I need to get curing.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky