Release the KRACKEN! Honey whiskey and spiced black rum St. Louis ribs w/Qview!

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

freakynorm

Meat Mopper
Original poster
Aug 4, 2012
Mount Vernon, Washington
The wife demanded ribs for her birthday dinner so I had to oblige. I picked up a pack from Costco. I use a homemade rub with zero sugar and heavy on the cayenne and chili powder for a very hot kick. By itself rubbed on meat and eaten straight, it would probably be too hot and way overpowering. It gets tempered down on the ribs when I foil them. So you get this perfect level of heat from the rub where it gives your lips a slight tingle followed by a bit of sweet from the foiling and glazing process.

I also picked up some Kracken spiced black rum to use instead of bourbon. I used a small bottle of Jack Daniel's Tennessee Honey Whiskey in two of the rack's foil and in the third rack I used the spiced rum. This is of course with my usual foil ingredients of Parkay, brown sugar, honey and tiger sauce. I made Roxy's Rib Glaze and replaced the bourbon with the spiced rum.

I cooked them with Kingsford blue along with some cherry and pecan chunks at 225deg with a 2-2-1 method. They came out good but still had a bit of tug on the meat which isn't my preference. I like them a bit more falling off the bone but it was getting late and we were hungry. Next time I will bump the heat up to 250deg or so and maybe do a 1.5 in the foil. The kid, wife and her friend were all pleased with the final results though.

We all preferred the honey whiskey the best. It adds a flavor profile I wouldn't be able to pinpoint had I not known what was used. I will actually be buying a 5th of that elixir since it compliments the meat so well.

On the smoker relaxing a bit.

Cooked, glazed, pulled and ready to cut up.

Seasoned perfectly, just wish I could've left them on another hour or so.

My new secret weapons in the war on smoked meats!

Reactions: disco
Bring the Kracken this way, that looks awesome!  I have no doubt that the honey whiskey was great.  How did the spiced rum ribs taste?

I have a bottle of Kracken that was given to me and its a little rough to the pallet in drink form so i've been looking for a way to use it up, i'll have to give this recipe a shot! 

I have a bottle of Kracken that was given to me and its a little rough to the pallet in drink form so i've been looking for a way to use it up, i'll have to give this recipe a shot! 
yeah. I'm a big spiced run fan and was disappointed in this to much licorice(anise?). maybe it the "Black" spiced rum in general.  good rum is real cheap compared to other spirits. the problem is that good rum cost the same as bad rum . i know with cognac, I can skip the $20 but with rum, it's almost like wine. a $10 dollar bottle can taste as good as  $80 bottle. but it does make it kind of cheap to go and try new stuff.

I will pass on this advice given to me, as I cook most things with spirits/beer/wine. never cook with something you won't drink! assuming you have some standards of taste.

as for me, I don't usually mix my own drinks so i buy stuff i like to drink straight. I picked up a bottle of baracdi's OakHeart spiced rum and it was very pleasant drinkI tend to have a lowe opiion of baracrdi so i was surprised. good wood flavor from the oak and subtle, not over powering spices, this may make a good cooking rum.

so many things to try so little time :(

The spiced rum ribs were good too but the honey whiskey ones really hit the mark.

I don't drink alcohol, period. So I'm always cooking with stuff I wouldn't drink.

The next batch of ribs will be my best I think.

The spiced rum ribs were good too but the honey whiskey ones really hit the mark.

I don't drink alcohol, period. So I'm always cooking with stuff I wouldn't drink.

The next batch of ribs will be my best I think.
that's excellent that you don't drink. if didn't, i might be able to recall my 20's . i slowed down into the quality vs quantity phase(mostly
devil.gif

that was directed for Doug mostly. he said he didn't like the taste.

FWIW, I like the whiskey better for most things. the Whiskey adds a tangy, complex flavor vinegar can't. my favorite blend is JD/soy sauce/Worcestershire in some ratio to fit the flavor profile.

that JD with honey isn't like other whiskey with honey. it's very smokey, earthy, and slightly sweet. a warm taste if that makes sense. something like wild turkey with Honey is far more sweet on the lips with that bourbon burn at the end. so don't switch whiskey brands just for the honey profile. JD is unique.

I made a pork butt injection with it and it gave me a good but unique pulled pork. http://www.smokingmeatforums.com/t/125740/i-cant-lay-off-the-booze-now-im-injecting-it  

yeah. I'm a big spiced run fan and was disappointed in this to much licorice(anise?). maybe it the "Black" spiced rum in general.  good rum is real cheap compared to other spirits. the problem is that good rum cost the same as bad rum . i know with cognac, I can skip the $20 but with rum, it's almost like wine. a $10 dollar bottle can taste as good as  $80 bottle. but it does make it kind of cheap to go and try new stuff.

I will pass on this advice given to me, as I cook most things with spirits/beer/wine. never cook with something you won't drink! assuming you have some standards of taste.

as for me, I don't usually mix my own drinks so i buy stuff i like to drink straight. I picked up a bottle of baracdi's OakHeart spiced rum and it was very pleasant drinkI tend to have a lowe opiion of baracrdi so i was surprised. good wood flavor from the oak and subtle, not over powering spices, this may make a good cooking rum.

so many things to try so little time :(
Not to derail your thread but Oakheart is delicious!! LOL! I'm more of a bourbon guy then a rum guy and Oakheart has the best of both if your not a whiskey fan

I love whiskey in my sauces and your ribs look great. I will be inspired by your efforts! Thanks for posting.

Disco

Looks great. I've never tried the Kracken but will try. I do like using the Red Stag cherry-infused bourbon too.

The ribs look like they came out perfect!

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky