Ref; Summer Sausage Woes

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

TomKnollRFV

Master of the Pit
Original poster
May 19, 2018
Neenah WI
I've had it happen again...the stuff started to fat out.

Ran the smoker at 160f for about 10 hours and it never got over 138f, and then we got a storm warning going so I cranked it to 170f..and then it turned into tornado watch so it went to 180f and whilst that got it to 145f. <I had used some pork in the blend> it also started to render the fat a bit.

I keep feel I am doing some thing wrong, as every time I read about folk doing these things, their sausage never takes 12+ hours at 160f nor does it start to render out. What is the secret here? <Still good. I had done the horseradish sausage mentioned on the forums. I'd need to double up on horse radish I think>

Hi Tom
I can’t really comment on cooking them in the smoker, mostly because
I only cold smoke summer sausage and link sausage. I don’t really care for super heavy smoked sausage, I prefer it very lightly smoked. So what I do for a large diameter summer sausage is place it in the smoker @ around 110deg w/ heavy smoke for 1 to 2 HR, then pull it from the smoker and go straight to my oven with it, 170deg for 4 to 6 HR or until desired internal temp is reached. Cooking/finishing in an oven is much more consistent than the smoker and less guess work.

I don’t think I have ever had a fat out situation doing it this way, other than
the occasional drips.

Are you using any kind of binders or other additives in the mixture?

Cal

I think your problem is you turned it up to 180. While the IT never got that hot the surface surely did. That area near the outter surface did fat out.

Hi Tom
I can’t really comment on cooking them in the smoker, mostly because
I only cold smoke summer sausage and link sausage. I don’t really care for super heavy smoked sausage, I prefer it very lightly smoked. So what I do for a large diameter summer sausage is place it in the smoker @ around 110deg w/ heavy smoke for 1 to 2 HR, then pull it from the smoker and go straight to my oven with it, 170deg for 4 to 6 HR or until desired internal temp is reached. Cooking/finishing in an oven is much more consistent than the smoker and less guess work.

I don’t think I have ever had a fat out situation doing it this way, other than
the occasional drips.

Are you using any kind of binders or other additives in the mixture?

Cal

Naw. Just the meat and the spice mix. <I've never tried it in the oven but I probably should have with the stupid weather warning, right!?>

I think your problem is you turned it up to 180. While the IT never got that hot the surface surely did. That area near the outter surface did fat out.

You are probably right, since it's pretty minimal. Personally it doesn't bother me <A drier summer sausage reminds me of the venison stuff my grandpa always had on hand> but appearance wise... well you know how folk are.

TKRFV, What size sausage are you making? I have had 3.5 inch casing summer sausage take 14 hours plus at 165 ish.

Reactions: chopsaw
Tom , you will get different opinions on adding binders , but I never make summer sausage without it . I buy NFDM from sausage maker if I have an order , but also get it at the store . Baking isle , Carnation powdered milk .
Most I ever push the temps would be 170 .
Like CM said , I've had it take 14 hours , I've had it finish in 9 hours . Some of that depends on how much moisture is in it , and the temp of the chubs when they went in the smoker .

TKRFV, What size sausage are you making? I have had 3.5 inch casing summer sausage take 14 hours plus at 165 ish.

Those 1 1/2 by 12. The LEM ones that claim to hold 1 pound of meat and never do. <I swear they don't. I always soak one extra casing per 5 pounds of meat and it works out so that I fill the casings and have enough left over for a small patty to fry up.>

Tom , you will get different opinions on adding binders , but I never make summer sausage without it . I buy NFDM from sausage maker if I have an order , but also get it at the store . Baking isle , Carnation powdered milk .
Most I ever push the temps would be 170 .
Like CM said , I've had it take 14 hours , I've had it finish in 9 hours . Some of that depends on how much moisture is in it , and the temp of the chubs when they went in the smoker .

I actually have Skim milk powder. I used it in a few things but I guess I forget I own it..and then I forget what exactly it's for and how much to use! <I should really go through and dedicate one shelf to sausage making stuff!>

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky